RECENT Iphone 3G buyers. happy with hardware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aipoun, Oct 14, 2008.

1. aipoun macrumors newbie

Hello, since the ever so present hardware issues like cracks in the casing of the 3G seem to me as things from ''older'' batches, I was wondering what RECENT buyers thought about their RECENT hardware? Cracks? Dents? Dead pixels?
    Dust under screen? Misalignments? Light leaks? Sharp edges? Sunken buttons?

OOOR have things gotten better?

Thanks!

2. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

no cracks or whatever I'm a bit disappinted with software at first sight looks fine but with the time safari looses quality broswing. Also no words on instant messaging, and swap between apps suck.

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

got it in late september, no problems so far.

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Just got another one, left bottom corner likes to lift up a bit but other than that it's all good.

Edit: Actually mine is from Honduras so it's probably older than the ones you would be getting.

5. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i just got a refurb the other day, its way better built than the 2 previous brand new phones i had

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Got mine a month ago and no problems at all except for the scratches after I dropped it one day of owning it. :eek:

7. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I just picked up 3 iphones over the weekend. So far my only complaint is MobileMe & ical don't seem to be getting along. My 19 year old daughter is complaining about the battery life on hers though.

8. aipoun thread starter macrumors newbie

so my assumption is correct: recent Iphones are better from a hardware point of view. they have probably improved quality control.

9. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I bought the 3G on October 1st and returned it the next day for a different one. The first one had a dent in the chrome bezel that I didn't notice at first. Also, the chrome bezel wasn't correctly aligned.

My second 3G is perfect so far, no complaints.

10. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Not happy. My ringer/vibrate switch broke off this morning. 2 days after I did a beautiful job putting on the BSE skins. I've had it for 1 week and a half.

11. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I got two of them both about 2 weeks ago, and they both have been great. One is naked with a anti-glare screen protector, and the other is in a gel case with anti-glare. Both are in great condition. Software has been fine for me.

Battery life has been spot on with the specs. I use 3G and wifi only. I have push and fetch on and I have a bunch of other setting turned on that drains battery life. The battery life is still great. Sure I would be happy if it lasted for 24hrs talk.

Haven't noticed dead pixels, but I don't look for those. No screen leaks that I can see.

12. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

What I am concern about is if the first batches have some kind of hardware issue internally (antenna?) that is fixed in subsequent batches. I see that the reception complaints have slowed down so much but definitely still an issue for me here in NYC.

13. sers macrumors regular

I've got some light leak on the left side and dust under the screen. These issues don't really bother me, though. No dead pixels or cracks in the case. I'd be worried about getting one that's in worse condition if I exchanged it. I'll keep it for now.

14. iphoneg33k macrumors member

Let me ask you guys something. If I go to the apple store and they exchange my device. Are they going to give me a used one, refub, or would it be a new one out of the box?

The only thing I don't like is how after a few days my sound is gone. Once in a while it comes back for the ringer but then it goes away.

Don't know if some of you had this problem.

15. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I'm curious about this too. I need to exchange mine due to the broken ringer switch. I am not taking a refurb I want a brand spanking new one.

16. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

just got one tonight, inspected it and no complaints. no scratches, no dust under screen, no light leaks, no cracks (its black), keys are tight, seems a ok so far. not sure if i need a case although i guess i will need to get some type of holster just because i'd hate to drop this thing and get it scratched...

but at the ATT store they do have refurbs in the box so... not sure if these are the ones they give out to returns.

17. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yes it seems that Apple has fixed most of the hardware issues with the iPhone 3G, but the software is still buggy. My iPhone (got it yesterday) is perfect hardware-wise, but the OS is still pretty buggy and slow.

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Yep. The 6 posts before yours has confirmed that any issues are cleared up.

Mr. Jobs, you can relax now; the masses have spoken. We've validated that any quality control issues have been cleared up. You can lay this issue to rest now.

19. iphoneg33k macrumors member

I want to exchange my Iphone but want a new one not a refrib one... The problem with mine is the sound is gone after having it a few days... Now I started to notice after I enter my password or I switch between things like pushing the home button it take about 15 sec to change.

They need to fix this problem. Other thing since I been reading the forum I haven't even check if I have the light leak. Since I have a rubber case covering it.

Tonight I will check it out, plus I think Friday I will head out to the Apple store and ask them to give me a new one.

20. mattocs macrumors member

Its a fine phone. Only complaint is that it won't pick up 3G when Edge is available.

21. aipoun thread starter macrumors newbie

some funny guy you are... it was not the 6 posts, checked some other forums too. the cracking issue seems to be related to certain batches. cheers.

22. Big Mac Genius macrumors newbie

Big Mac Genius

Is all The I Phones Subpost To Be Like That Or some One At The Factory F***ed Up?

I Got Mine Sep 18th No Problems

but with its a light leak that every one it talking about can some one put up some pics?

23. LoCarbHotrod macrumors member

My original 16gb was stolen at work last week, so I ended up buying a new 8gb. With that said, the one thing I've noticed is how much my reception has improved.

As I type this, I have 5 bars in my basement, when it would only get 1-2 bars. I am aware of the 2.1 update and the "fake" signal strength, and both of the phones are/were running 2.1.

Also, the black one is more sexy than my old white one ;-)