recent loss in performance, please help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KevChallis, Oct 16, 2013.

1. KevChallis macrumors newbie

Hi all, I don't often post a new topic, as I normally find my answer on here before I need to.

Recently (last 4 to 5 weeks) I have noticed a lack in performance, and I can't find why, my mac used to be able to start from cold in about a minute or so, now takes 3 to 4 mins before I can use it, putting it to sleep, again, takes about 2 minutes to turn the screen off, whilst working on it, programs take longer to open, files take ages to copy from sd card, everything just seems slower.

I have followed numerous guides to making it faster, checked the hdd in Disk Utility, been through Onyx and done all that, I only have 230gb on the 1tb HD,its the 21.5 inch i5 2.7ghz version, running 12gb ram

Any more things I can try, would re loading the OS help? It is just over a year old, any help would be much appreciated

Kev

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Perhaps you could try repairing disk permissions?

Disk Utility -> select Macintosh HD and click repair disk permissions. Then reboot. That may sometimes help.

Maybe your caches got too bloated over time. Try opening Terminal and type dscacheutil -flushcache

Or download CleanMyMac (you can crack it with a key from KCNscrew) and let it scan for you.

Last resort, backup whatever you need and do a clean install.