recent message limit help......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cloud9, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

One of the main reasons I wanted an iphone was for having all of my email in my pocket. It turns out the iphone has a recent message limit of 200. I need to be able to access any email sent to me in the last 12 months. As my communication with my clients is primarily via email, I need the past emails for reference purposes. This is very very important to me. I might even return the iphone if there is not a solution to this problem. I am willing to use mobile me if I can access all past email on iphone that way, but from messing around with it so far it does not seem to be it's intended purpose. Is there anyway to do this?

p.s. someone needs to make new mail client for the iphone and sell it on the app store. I would buy for $100.00

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you're mail is available via a website, why not just log on there? Like hotmail.

Also, i don't think it's possible to make a mail app. Apple probably wouldn't allow it.

3. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

I went to the html site for my pop mail and it deletes messages from 3 months ago. I have all the messages on my laptop. I just need to get them on the iphone somehow.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I amy be mistaken but I think the 200 recent e-mail limit is just how many messages the phone will automatically load. I believe it can display the whole mailbox if you keep loading.

Also, might be worth organizing your e-mails into folders for specific clients, that way you can quickly jump to them when needed.

Still no e-mail search on the iphone though...:(

5. mitchlandry macrumors member

Correct, I have 700+ emails in my work inbox. phone shows 1st 200 automatically, scroll to bottom, tap "Load More Messages" and more messages come up. I don't think it loads another 200 though, seems like 50, maybe 100. Keep tapping "Load More Messages" and you could eventually have all your email at a glance, but on my phone (non 3G) it would take a while.

You could also do the recommended as above and organize with folders or something.

I can do without the search, i want to be able to sort by sender, subject, etc..

6. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

When I scroll down to the bottom I do not see a button for "load more messages". I am using iphone 3g.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You cannot load more than 200 messages at once.

Maybe an App that stores all this information or a website that does this you can access on the go OP? Seems like the best solution all around. Plus it could be helpful to you, but then again every situation is different. If i needed to know my clients info and lookup i'd use an online database.

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Ok, now I see your problem. You are using a POP client and therefore most of your messages that you got before the iphone are likely no longer on the server.

Any imap options available?

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, wouldn't any email he has in his account be synced to the iPhone even if he had a POP email?

10. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

Would mobile me be a solution?

I am willing to go Imap as long as I can keep my email address. I am also willing to view my messages via the safari browser, by using a gmail account or mobile me.

Lets say I used me.com, or gmail. Is there a way for me to get all my messages from my laptop, onto a gmail, or mobile me account or similar. That way I could see them and search through them in safari from my iphone. If I could also have them in the mail itself that would be great. But I would be happy enough to be able to view them all on the web. But they are trapped on my laptop it seems.

11. mitchlandry macrumors member

Are you at the email message limit (i.e 200)? On another account i only have a couple emails and the "Load More Messages" is not there. I'm pretty sure it only shows up if you more than the message limit.
    My load more messages also states the number of emails in the inbox and # of unread.

the only thing that might make a difference is that my email is setup as a IMAP account, not sure if this shows up for POP's.(my low volume email account is a pop) I can't verify at this time, someone with a POP account maybe can verify. My yahoo account also shows the load more messages, but that is a push account.

Not sure if any of that makes a difference, but wanted to point out.

12. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh. And I forgot to thank you for helping me with this too. Thanks!

13. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

The reason it won't load more messages is because my pop acount only goes back to july 7th.

14. Cloud9 thread starter macrumors regular

gmail semi solutions

Ok.

So I now have a gmail account pulling messages from my email addresses. It's works well because gmail has a search function.

But....

How do I get all the messages on my laptop to my gmail account?

By routing my emails to gmail, will i still be able to have a proper sync between gmail, apple mail client on my mac, and my iphone?

15. mitchlandry macrumors member

You could always email them to your gmail account, might be the long way. maybe others will have a better solution.

Sorry, don't know the anser to your sync question.