Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subjectruin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2009
I recently bought my first mac, a brand new MacPro and I love the thing, but I'm having trouble finding a DAW that's right for me.

On my PC I had an awesome workflow set up where I would compose and sequence my music in FL Studio, export those sounds to Adobe Audition, record guitar and bass etc. in Audition, and then mix everything there. I loved the destructive waveform editing in Audition, and I liked exporting synthesized parts from one program and treating them like recorded audio files.

I cannot seem to recreate this workflow with any of the Mac audio programs I've tried. Garage band is immediately out of the question. Soundtrack Pro is horrible, and I can't even wrap my mind around that program. Reason is super messy and the sequencer is ugly and clunky. Logic Pro is getting closer, but it's really difficult for me to use their non-destructive editing system along with the built-in sequencer. My projects get super messy and having everything in one program is overwhelming my monitor with tiny windows.

Any suggestions?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
If you bought a mighty mac pro to run FLstudio then that was a big mistake...

Maybe you should look at the advantages of non destructive editing. Working on DAW's is all subjective. If you work best in logic, pro tools etc, - it's all a personal preference. Since you DO have a mac, really try to float with Logic...it works so well and it really is a pro piece of software... (i even think garageband can do so much these days.....) I personally find sequencing and recording in ONE programme better as you can make instant changes - ie the way you work, you can't unpick your exported sequence as you have to re-open FL, fiddle, export, import, etc.....

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you are working with both midi and recorded audio Logic works well. But you need to do two things (1) time the time to learn the software. and (2) invest in a large monitor. I can'r see how anyone could use Logic on a 13" Macbook. 24" or larger is about right

Stay with just one program and try and make it work until you see that it can't do what you need. Then address that one problem with additional software or equipment

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.