Recent prolific spammer

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Original poster
As the mods are well aware, there has been a spammer recently that is rather prolific and is, in fact, spamming the forum as I write this. It got me thinking about the procedures used by the mods. Do you ban the SOB first and then clean up his posts or the other way around? Would it be possible to change the board software to give newbies (particularly those with less than 10 posts) more restrictive posting rules like only being able to start a new thread once an hour? Just a thought.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I like this idea, it shouldn't be much of an inconvenience to genuine new members.
The spammer would just create more accounts?

What about automatic rules that searches for certain text and don't even post those posts.

I have it installed on my site, so any posts with spam don't even show up.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
As the mods are well aware, there has been a spammer recently that is rather prolific and is, in fact, spamming the forum as I write this. It got me thinking about the procedures used by the mods. Do you ban the SOB first and then clean up his posts or the other way around? Would it be possible to change the board software to give newbies (particularly those with less than 10 posts) more restrictive posting rules like only being able to start a new thread once an hour? Just a thought.
you can ban the ip address

i am against the 1 thread an hr as sometimes i create multiple threads within an hr at times

maybe the 1 thread per hr for newbies only? as all spammers are newbies obviously

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I agree something should be done. Our moderators do a great job, but I know they're also overwhelmed. Plus, these spammers seem to pick times when there are no mods online. I know there are times I wish I could nuke a spammer and every computer they own. Maybe someday we'll have that technology. :D

i am against the 1 thread an hr as sometimes i create multiple threads within an hr at times
maybe the 1 thread per hr for newbies only? as all spammers are newbies obviously
Re-read his post:
... Would it be possible to change the board software to give newbies (particularly those with less than 10 posts) more restrictive posting rules like only being able to start a new thread once an hour? Just a thought.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know this would probably never fly, but one approach would be to limit newbies to only posting in existing threads, rather than starting new ones, until they reach some post limit. That wouldn't prevent a spammer from adding spam posts in existing threads, but it would stop new threads from being started. It would have the added benefit of forcing newbies to search for existing threads, rather than posting repetitive threads like "OMG! I have a VIRUS!" or "Buy now or wait?" or "MBP or MacBook" or a few dozen other repetitive threads.

Of course, it might be easier for mods to delete threads than specific posts in existing threads.

I certainly agree with limiting the frequency that a newbie can post.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
MR really needs to use recaptcha. It take like 10 minutes to install and doesn't even require turning off the forums.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
MR really needs to use recaptcha. It take like 10 minutes to install and doesn't even require turning off the forums.
Eww. I'm against that. They're totally un-user-friendly and lack accessibility most of the time. Also, spambots have ways to solve re/CAPTCHA so it's going to annoy real users more than spambots. If you've ever watched a spambot application at work you'd know that there are no current automated ways to stop them. From the spam I've seen on MR it's a combination of spambots and actual humans submitting spam. Even if you could stop the spambots, you wouldn't be able to prevent the human spammers.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Eww. I'm against that. They're totally un-user-friendly and lack accessibility most of the time. Also, spambots have ways to solve re/CAPTCHA so it's going to annoy real users more than spambots. If you've ever watched a spambot application at work you'd know that there are no current automated ways to stop them. From the spam I've seen on MR it's a combination of spambots and actual humans submitting spam. Even if you could stop the spambots, you wouldn't be able to prevent the human spammers.
Exactly, particularly that lattermost inference, much of it is humans. The rule regarding posting the exact same thing really makes it much less inhabitable to machines.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It's really getting ridiculous. We have some very clever minds behind the scenes at this forum, I can't believe no one has come up with a solution.

I suggested this in a post report but I'll say it again here.
Since the spamtwunts seem to post the same crappy text and same image, is there a way to filter any new threads started by newbies that use those terms? Then put those threads into a moderation queue?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Maybe I missed the part where someone recommended to use a captcha that actually asked a question instead of those ones where normal people **** with the letters and computers can decode that crap in seconds. Why isn't that being implemented?

I'm thinking at the rate this is coming even if all of the mods were around they couldn't keep up. Something needs to be done server side.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I just hope that something is done soon since the last few mornings I've been on here this happens. I like the idea of limiting n00bs and blocking repetitive content, there has to be a way. I remember a while ago we talked about links in the sigs or something like that. :confused:

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Would it not be a good idea to give contributors who've been around for a while the ability to delete these obvious spam threads? It's clear that the mods are overwhelmed, and whilst I haven't got the time to moderate, I'd be happy to zap a thread rather than report it.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
Would it not be a good idea to give contributors who've been around for a while the ability to delete these obvious spam threads? It's clear that the mods are overwhelmed, and whilst I haven't got the time to moderate, I'd be happy to zap a thread rather than report it.
I think there are plenty of volunteers for the job. It appears the process is not as easy as we wish. See following thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/685099/

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is that even possible? Just wondering as I have little knowledge of the capabilities of vBulletin.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I can think of many abuses for that power.
TheSpaz's threads are obvious spam, correct?

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
By spam, I mean threads that are selling products and services. We're all adult enough to know the difference between spammers and trolls ;)
Well played, sir.
And I knew what you meant. I was remarking I can see someone deleting a non-spam thread just because they can. RE: Me. :p