Recent prolific spammer

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by flopticalcube, Nov 15, 2009.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As the mods are well aware, there has been a spammer recently that is rather prolific and is, in fact, spamming the forum as I write this. It got me thinking about the procedures used by the mods. Do you ban the SOB first and then clean up his posts or the other way around? Would it be possible to change the board software to give newbies (particularly those with less than 10 posts) more restrictive posting rules like only being able to start a new thread once an hour? Just a thought.

2. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

LOL! He even spammed this forum! That's one busy spambot.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I like this idea, it shouldn't be much of an inconvenience to genuine new members.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The spammer would just create more accounts?

What about automatic rules that searches for certain text and don't even post those posts.

I have it installed on my site, so any posts with spam don't even show up.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you can ban the ip address

i am against the 1 thread an hr as sometimes i create multiple threads within an hr at times

maybe the 1 thread per hr for newbies only? as all spammers are newbies obviously

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree something should be done. Our moderators do a great job, but I know they're also overwhelmed. Plus, these spammers seem to pick times when there are no mods online. I know there are times I wish I could nuke a spammer and every computer they own. Maybe someday we'll have that technology. :D

Re-read his post:

7. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

But you are not a newb. 1 thread an hour for those with a postcount of 10 or less. I suspect our spamming chum is posting through multiple ip addresses.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry, my oversight:eek:

9. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Surprise of surprises, he's back. One thing that should be done is stop the ability to post links until at least 10 posts.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't think it would slow them down that much. They'd just make a bunch of quick posts with "+1" or some other variant, and then be off to spamming.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

maybe noobs should only be allowed 1 post per 10 min lol

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know this would probably never fly, but one approach would be to limit newbies to only posting in existing threads, rather than starting new ones, until they reach some post limit. That wouldn't prevent a spammer from adding spam posts in existing threads, but it would stop new threads from being started. It would have the added benefit of forcing newbies to search for existing threads, rather than posting repetitive threads like "OMG! I have a VIRUS!" or "Buy now or wait?" or "MBP or MacBook" or a few dozen other repetitive threads.

Of course, it might be easier for mods to delete threads than specific posts in existing threads.

I certainly agree with limiting the frequency that a newbie can post.

13. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not sure if I'd rather have the spammer start a new thread or have the mods have to edit existing ones. Your idea does have merit vis-a-vis the lack of searching, however. That would be welcome.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

MR really needs to use recaptcha. It take like 10 minutes to install and doesn't even require turning off the forums.

15. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Eww. I'm against that. They're totally un-user-friendly and lack accessibility most of the time. Also, spambots have ways to solve re/CAPTCHA so it's going to annoy real users more than spambots. If you've ever watched a spambot application at work you'd know that there are no current automated ways to stop them. From the spam I've seen on MR it's a combination of spambots and actual humans submitting spam. Even if you could stop the spambots, you wouldn't be able to prevent the human spammers.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Exactly, particularly that lattermost inference, much of it is humans. The rule regarding posting the exact same thing really makes it much less inhabitable to machines.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's really getting ridiculous. We have some very clever minds behind the scenes at this forum, I can't believe no one has come up with a solution.

I suggested this in a post report but I'll say it again here.
    Since the spamtwunts seem to post the same crappy text and same image, is there a way to filter any new threads started by newbies that use those terms? Then put those threads into a moderation queue?

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maybe I missed the part where someone recommended to use a captcha that actually asked a question instead of those ones where normal people **** with the letters and computers can decode that crap in seconds. Why isn't that being implemented?

I'm thinking at the rate this is coming even if all of the mods were around they couldn't keep up. Something needs to be done server side.

19. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I just hope that something is done soon since the last few mornings I've been on here this happens. I like the idea of limiting n00bs and blocking repetitive content, there has to be a way. I remember a while ago we talked about links in the sigs or something like that. :confused:

20. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Would it not be a good idea to give contributors who've been around for a while the ability to delete these obvious spam threads? It's clear that the mods are overwhelmed, and whilst I haven't got the time to moderate, I'd be happy to zap a thread rather than report it.

21. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I think there are plenty of volunteers for the job. It appears the process is not as easy as we wish. See following thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=685099&page=3

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is that even possible? Just wondering as I have little knowledge of the capabilities of vBulletin.

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I can think of many abuses for that power.
    TheSpaz's threads are obvious spam, correct?

24. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

By spam, I mean threads that are selling products and services. We're all adult enough to know the difference between spammers and trolls ;)

25. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Well played, sir.
    And I knew what you meant. I was remarking I can see someone deleting a non-spam thread just because they can. RE: Me. :p