Recent Purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by convert09, Apr 25, 2009.

1. convert09 macrumors member

convert09

In March 2009 I purchased my first Apple computer a MacBook 2.4 with 4GB memory. Climbing the learning curve has been a challenge, but I've made decent progress without paying the extra $$ to the Apple store. Fortunately, I have a couple of Mac gurus I can go to for help, but mostly I've learned by trial, error, frustration, reading ... more reading, etc.

After a month I don't really notice that I don't have a backspace key especially since a couple of days ago I found 'Control + H'.

In spite of the frustrations what finally and completely sold me on Apple was the hard drive swap I performed.

I've been using Windoze since the early 1990's and every OS upgrade I've done on the PC has had problems. Every hard drive upgrade I've done had some sort of problem. I resorted to detailed journals on the OS and HD specs so I could ensure a some sort of less painful upgrade/install. I still have those journals.

Performing the upgrade on the MacBook was a thousand times easier. Yeah, I had to look up procedures and such, but that was just reading on top of doing the actual job. Once I figured out how to proceed it was just a matter of waiting for the Mac to format the drive and install the OS. Never have I had such a painless HD install or OS install. Everything just worked.

Had I had difficulty in performing the above tasks I more than likely would have given the MacBook to my kid and I would have taken back my nine month old HP laptop.

2. Illicit macrumors 6502

I'm slightly confused by your post. Did you mean you didn't find a backspace key and resorted to using ctrl+h?
    Backspace is just the delete key.
    Fn+delete is a forward delete key similar to the del key on windows PCs.

Congrats on making the switch.

3. convert09 thread starter macrumors member

convert09

You can certainly imagine my angst when attempting to forward delete and the cursor suddenly goes backwards. I obviously didn't know any key commands at the time and cursed Apple generously in my initial transition period.

Then one day while perusing usingmac.com I stumbling across an article entitled Unveiling 10 Hidden OS X Shortcuts. Amongst the items mentioned was
    Forward Delete = Contol + D
    Backspace = Control + H.

Now, thanks to you, I now know Fn + Delete = Forward Delete.

Sorry for any confusion. :eek:
    :apple:Jim:apple:

4. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

WOAH!

Apparently :apple:+H when you have a window open hides the window? I just did it and safari dissapeared (similar to :apple:+W), but when you press on safari again, it opened up to exactly where I was.

huh. the more you know...

5. Illicit macrumors 6502

also :apple:+m to minimize the window and have it show in your dock.
    :apple:+h will hide any and all windows of an open application.