Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and knows a potential solution.

I've been jailbroken on my iPhone 5 since evasi0n came out, and it's been running fine for the most part. However, a few days ago, I started experiencing random app crashes. Just crashes of standard apps, such as Facebook, Flipboard, Twitter, Stitcher, etc. I'd be using them for about 10 seconds...then, crash. If I reboot the phone, it'll be fine for 2-5 hours, then it'll start happening again. Reboot again, fine again for a while. Not that every app will crash when this happens, but once an app starts crashing, I generally have to restart the phone before the app will work again. In some cases, I'll be playing a podcast on Stitcher, then I open another program, and that app will crash, and it'll take Stitcher with it. Stuff like that. Never a springboard crash, etc.

Checking system utilities, my RAM appears to be fine (these are happening even with around 400MB free), and I've already backtracked and uninstalled every new tweak I've installed from the time I started experiencing this problem...no change. I even uninstalled Auxo, as I was trying to narrow down tweaks that were active at all times.

I downloaded CrashReporter, but there are no crash logs for these events....latest was a crash from yesterday evening with Rdio, and before that, a crash or two from a few days ago. None of these are the random crashes I'm talking about.

Anyone experiencing something similar? Know of a way to track it down?

I'm probably going to be doing a restore soon just to get on 6.1.2, but I don't want to go right back to this if I can figure out the offending tweak or setting ahead of time.

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
iPhone 4S 6.1 JB'ed using evasi0n on launch day. Starting to get the same issue. Random crashes in standard apps, only a restart fixes.

I plan to DFU restore to 6.1.2 and re-JB using the latest version of evasi0n on a clean install and see how it goes fro there.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
This is happening with mine as well ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361412792.614705.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361412821.847211.jpg

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
iPhone 4S 6.1 JB'ed using evasi0n on launch day. Starting to get the same issue. Random crashes in standard apps, only a restart fixes.

I plan to DFU restore to 6.1.2 and re-JB using the latest version of evasi0n on a clean install and see how it goes fro there.

I did this but it didn't help... It's inevitable.

JSingr

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
same issue and a respring/reboot works for a bit..

Found two things that seem to be the issue with my phone.

1. My theme..most of my apps for some reason didn't like the custom "loading screens" removed them and seems to be running better. A few games wouldn't even launch prior.

2. latest Copic beta app seems to be an issue as well. I know for sure mail would eventually keep crashing when I had it enabled to show pics.

suggest disabling substrates and maybe a theme you're using to see what's causing the issue.

JSingr

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
I'm using the JAKU theme l think that could be the result of my crashes

ditto same crashes from 6.1 to dfu restore to 6.1.2.

disable it and see if it works better..not familiar with the theme, but does it have it's own loading screens?

Haven't had any issues since renaming the folder. On my them it's stored on the root of the theme labelled "FallBack"

if the same rename it.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
ditto same crashes from 6.1 to dfu restore to 6.1.2.

disable it and see if it works better..not familiar with the theme, but does it have it's own loading screens?

Haven't had any issues since renaming the folder. On my them it's stored on the root of the theme labelled "FallBack"

if the same rename it.
This is my JAKU in Winterboard. I'm getting blackboardd issues with that crash reporter... So I'm thinking uninstalling apps would help but its not. Thought it was sbrotator it wasn't. Then infiniboard but its not. It's crazy...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361413968.290451.jpg

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Oh... And I'm in safe mode because for some reason even tapatalk crashes... Not understanding how this happened. I restored as new.. Upgraded to 6.1.2 (both online) then manually installed each app and tweak..

JSingr

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
This is my JAKU in Winterboard. I'm getting blackboardd issues with that crash reporter... So I'm thinking uninstalling apps would help but its not. Thought it was sbrotator it wasn't. Then infiniboard but its not. It's crazy...

View attachment 398513

I use the popular apps with no issues color keyboard..bytafont..springtimize..shrink..bitesms..infinidock etc..things starting going downhill after the theme and copic install.

You can use sbsettings and disable the substrate 1 by 1 without installing..but I'm still betting it's a theme issue.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I use the popular apps with no issues color keyboard..bytafont..springtimize..shrink..bitesms..infinidock etc..things starting going downhill after the theme and copic install.

You can use sbsettings and disable the substrate 1 by 1 without installing..but I'm still betting it's a theme issue.

I believe the same. I'm just going to grin and bear it. I'm sure it's the theme. But u like JAKU

----------

Do you think that INSOMNIA may possibly cure it?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I have Jaku installed, but these crashes for me have not been while Jaku is active for me. I've run a few different themes with no difference.

Another thing I've noticed is that multitasking appears to be shutting down...that is, backgrounded apps that should have their states frozen are being shut down completely after only about 15-20 seconds of inactivity. What gives?

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I may have found the culprit in my case...

Jukebox. Last remaining tweak since this started, and at the very least, it has fixed my multitasking issues. I'll post tomorrow evening to see if the crashes have stopped.

llirik

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
I'm having the same issue now the last few days as well. The only common line In crash reporter I've found is libsystem_kernel.dylib but searching online hasn't helped.

----------

I may have found the culprit in my case...

Jukebox. Last remaining tweak since this started, and at the very least, it has fixed my multitasking issues. I'll post tomorrow evening to see if the crashes have stopped.

I also have the background apps issue. I don't have jukebox installed so can't be that. The apps also appear to just be crashing in the background according to crash reporter.

llirik

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Update: the issue seems to have been related to winter board. I've uninstalled it and last 2 hours no crashes and multi tasking issue also resolved.

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Not using Jukebox or Winterboard here. Haven't had the issue again since a re-start. Yet.

JSingr

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
It's actually winterboard. Disable the substrate and no issues. It was talked about in other forums as well. Going to disable for a bit. Was just frustrating opening up apps twice..back to ugly icons though..

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yup...after I posted the Jukebox thing, another few hours later and right back to random crashes and poor multitasking. Got so frustrated by it yesterday that I finally uninstalled Winterboard, and it's been perfect for the past 20 hours now, with no killed background apps, etc. Good news is Saurik knows about the issue and is looking for a fix, so hopefully I won't be unthemed for too long.

I still am using my iWidgets and have used springtomize to shrink my stock iOS icons, so at least they look a little different. :)

SFJon

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
I'm going to throw this in here since I can't find any other solutions. I had previously jailbroken my iphone 5 on the ios7 evasi0n jailbreak. I wasn't using any of the reasons to jailbreak and occasionally my phone was crashing so I went ahead and updated to 7.1. After upgrading my phone was still occasionally crashing and the logs all point to "blackboardd" as the cause of the crash. I did a DFU restore but I'm still getting the occasional crash from "blackboardd". Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.