Recent Rmbp purchases mostly samsung

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPizzzle, Mar 26, 2013.

1. JPizzzle macrumors 6502

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone has noticed whether the 2013 models are mostly samsung, lg, or a mix. Sorry if this is already addressed.

Thanks

JP

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. Xplicit84 macrumors newbie

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

My 15 inch, built a week ago is LG second generation. They seem to be the same kind of mix as they always have.

5. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Does LG second generation not have the screen issues? Sorry i'm trying to catch up with all the retina issues.

6. Radiating macrumors 65816

I've personally owned the following 15" rMBP's:

A launch day 15" 2012 rMBP with an LG screen
    An end of production 15" rMBP with LG screen
    An end of production 15" rMBP with Samsung Screen

A Launch day 15" 2013 rMBP with an LG Screen
    An rMBP from last week with an LG Screen
    An rMBP from last week with a Samsung Screen.

The Launch day rMBP LG had horrible horrible burn in that would last for 45 seconds after leaving an image up for just a minute. It was where the horror stories came from.

Ever since the end of production 2012 models you would be crazy to have an issue with the burn in. The only time I've noticed it was when I left an image up OVERNIGHT and disabled the screen saver. It lasted all of 15 seconds on the screen.

Simply put burn in is NOT an issue any more. I've had 3 15" Retinas with LG screens and none hav exhibited the issues people complained about in the arly production run.

With that said the Samsung screens are still better, but you won't notice it.

7. Barhen macrumors member

Got mine in on monday, samsung screen here (the 2013 revised models)

8. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

Got my 2013 on March 21st with LG screen. No issues that I know of so far.

9. hutch34 macrumors member

This is really good to hear. I'm planning on ordering a 15" rMBP within the next few weeks and I've been constantly worried about losing the screen lottery. I know they'd replace it, but I use my machine for work and it would really kill me to not have a machine for any length of time during the week. (I don't live near an Apple Store)

10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Mine has the first generation screen, but no IR so far on the test. Wish to got a Samsung screen instead so that don't have to worry about future issues.

Have any of you done a RMBP screen replacement yourselves? I saw the instructions in iFix and they rate it as difficult. I wonder if can buy a low end rMBP with a Samsung display and switch the panels, then re-sale the donor rMBP. My rMBP has the Apple Care so would rather keep it than sell it to buy another high end model like mine with a Samsung display.

11. Radiating macrumors 65816

The first generation screen was fixed very shortly after the issue was first discovered. Your computer is fine and will NEVER develop significant image retention.

12. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I purchased 2 rMBP's in the past 3 weeks and both were Samsung displays.

13. B..., Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

I do not know how you can say this. Some 2013 models have already been shown to have IR as well. See MacRumors and Youtube. Also, he has a first gen screen, so even if the issue was fixed, it would not help him.

14. Radiating macrumors 65816

If that's the case then they are defective. I haven't seen any that have the IR issue after mid 2012

15. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Any screen, no matter what year or brand, which exhibits IR after only a few minutes is defective in my book. Even the 2012s, and even if they ALL had the problem.

16. bluesteel macrumors 6502

just received my 15" rentina a few days ago...i checked and it has a samsung screen and ssd.

17. JPizzzle thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone buy a recent custom order and can state whether their lg or Samsung? I'm going to be ordering the maxed out pro. Thanks

18. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i did, maxed out 2.8/16/768....came with samsung screen and samsung ssd.

19. ColdCase macrumors 68030

My maxed out rMBP with mid March production date arrived last week with a LG rev 2 screen.

I think you'll get what you'll get based on typical statistics, not any different from other models.

20. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I would not say NEVER....... Very likely to happen

21. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Bought my 15" rMBP this past Sunday. Samsung display and Sandisk SSD. I would have preferred a Samsung SSD as well but I can live with the Sandisk. Next year I'll more than likely upgrade the SSD anyway.