"Recent" Smart Search

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macstatic, Oct 15, 2013.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I often find myself wasting an awful lot of time navigating to the folders I need so I decided to create "recently visited folders" and "recent work" smart search folders for my Finder sidebar. Alas they're not working as intended. I'm in OSX 10.6.8.

"Recently visited folders" should display the most recent folder I've visited at the top (list view), but doesn't.
    [​IMG]

"Recent work" is another attempt, but also includes files I've recently worked with. Likewise it should display the latest visited/created/opened file or folder at the very top (list view).
    [​IMG]

How can I make it work as intended?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Firstly, Recent Folders are displayed in Finder's Go menu, as well as in file open/save dialogs. (The drop-down list with the current location in it.)

Secondly: You seen to be searching INSIDE a folder called "Recently visited folders", rather than your whole computer.
    Same for your second one: you're searching in a folder called "Recent Work".

When I create a Smart Folder, my location choices are the current folder (named), or "This Mac".

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure why I ended up searching just inside those folders but it's fixed now and works a whole lot better ;)
    As for "Number of items" not working correctly (showing me way too many items) I found out from the explanation that it says "Number of files and folders in the folder" which is not what I'm looking for. How do I make it display just, say, the last 5 folders I've visited?

I didn't know about the most recent folders being shown in the open/save dialogs -there's a lot of stuff which isn't obvious in OSX which is why I keep learning new things all the time.