Recent Upgrades to my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrono24, May 16, 2012.

1. chrono24 macrumors newbie

Recentley I've installed 8gb Ram from Crucial and 256 GB SSD from Crucial.

My Macbook Pro 13" is back to very fast power, it's a 2010 model, 4gb ram, 2.66ghz 320gb (STOCK Spec's).

Now it's on OSX Lion, 256 GB SSD, 8gb ram and I am more than happy.

I just got a iMac as well with 4gb ram, i5, 2.7 and it's 27" soon to be 16gb ram.

If you can get a SSD it's a must have, the Macbook is lightening fast now. It takes 30 minutes to install and boot up a fresh copy of the OSX.

Very very satisfied.

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I also experienced an improvement in performance with my MBP 15" with the addition of a 256 gb Samsung SSD and 16 gb Corsair RAM. Plan to add SSD to my iMac as soon as funds permit. Already purchased the 16 gb RAM since it is so cheap these days.

3. jukinha92 macrumors member

I didnt know that was possível to install SSD in a MacBook pro... How much did you spend?

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If you check newegg.com and amazon.com, you'll see the Crucial M4 256GB for $199. I'd guess you'll see that again tomorrow or Friday.

5. chrono24 thread starter macrumors newbie

SSD on iMac is something I wish I had the guts to do, it looks like its a open heart surgery.

around $250 for a Crucial SSD M4 256gb.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Now if you are running low on space and no need of optical drive, take the optical drive out and replace it with optibay or data doubler.
    Add a second HDD (750GB or more preferably) and you can get the fastest yet more storage MBP 13in!

7. chrono24 thread starter macrumors newbie

How hard is it to do, I heard that the battery would run out quickly ?

Any link's to product ?

That would be nice :)

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Not that hard.
    They give you all the screw drivers needed and a detailed info.
    All it is is removing couple screws, replace them and your all done!

There are many sets you can buy with this. i.e. parts w/ SSD/HDD or just parts.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/search/data+doubler

For Optibay:
    http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...t_Code=OBSXGB-UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

There is really no change in battery life.

9. user418, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012

user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I don't have the nerve to open my iMac up either other than to install the RAM. Got a list of Apple authorized repair centers in my area from the guy at the Genius Bar. Plan to have them perform the "triple bypass". I'd probably screw things up royally and go into cardiac arrest!!

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Why don't you give it a shot yourself? You can always stop and bring it to the shop if you start to feel that you're in way over your head. You might save yourself some money and have a little fun in the process. Geek disclosure: one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done on a computer was when I upgraded the processors in my old Mac Pro.

11. chrono24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to try and install the SSD by myself in the fall, planning to remove my 1TB HD and replace it with Corsair 480GB SSD GT.

The Apple Dealer quoted me $200 install which is too much.

12. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

You make a very valid point. Although it turned out to be much easier than I anticipated words can't fully describe the sense of accomplishment I felt when I made the upgrades to my MBP. Most of you guys/gals here on MR have been very helpful and supportive. Reminds me of my college days when people really tried to help each other. Will give it some more thought and research before making the final decision.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I don't know how much the process for opening the case may have changed in the past couple of years, but my brother had a failed hard drive on his 2009 iMac and with a little phone-support (from me) he installed the new hard drive himself. He said it was even fun and cool to get into his machine a little bit; and he's not mechanically inclined in the least. I think you can do it.

14. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

15. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Not to mention last I checked you can't do it on the latest gen iMac's since they tied the fan control through the hard drive circuitry.

16. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

SSDs are the way to go.. However, I'm waiting on the 512s to drop before jumping on the SSD + HD [optibay] wagon!

17. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Dude, you're thinking of a MacBook. He's talking about an iMac. I've watched the videos of people doing it, and they are way braver than I am. All it would take is yanking on the wrong cable and you're screwed. Knowing myself, I would do something in the wrong order or miss a step and brick my iMac. But that's just me. ;

18. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Well he said she wish to do that and yet this thread is about MBP.
    Its honestly not that hard.
    All you have to be careful is not to wank the wrong cable and the static.

All it is, is just unscrewing screws and putting them back together.

19. chrono24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forget to mention boot up takes 17 seconds.

Shutdown 4 seconds. ;)

20. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah that sounds about right.
    With HDD, it takes about 25 sec. (well depends on how many startup app you have)