Recent WatchPlate customers/updates?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JFazYankees, Aug 19, 2015.

1. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

I sent my watch in yesterday to be gold plated by WatchPlate, but I haven't seen any recent comments on how their process is holding up. I know there were some issues back in June, but that's almost two months ago. I want to make sure the plating is going to last, so can anyone comment on how their watch is holding up? (Regardless of if you just had it done or if it was done months ago).

2. JayLenochiniMac, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

According to WatchPlate FAQ, they suggest where gold plating comes into contact with the skin can rub off and that this is normal, which is pretty absurd. It's obvious that their plating does not hold up over time because they apply a removable invisible film to the inside of the watch.

I'm not sure why you created this thread after the fact, but there are vendors that offer proper gold plating services that actually hold up over time and do not require a film to protect it from normal wear. You get what you pay for.

3. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Yeah, this alone shows that their work is not quality on any level - and then they try to justify it - a properly plated piece of jewelry should not fade, flake, or peel, and esp not within 2-3 months (which is what a lot of people online are still experiencing). The gold should bond to the outer later of the watch, not set on top of it.

Even their competitors are having problems: https://thetimepreserve.com/we-will-no-longer-repair-work-from-watchplate/

I'd look elsewhere, my friend.