Recently been hacked;

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JoQuestion, Nov 3, 2009.

1. JoQuestion macrumors newbie

Recently my ibook g4 os 10.4 (fully updated) was hacked and since then I've tried a few things but they don't seem to be working. I've changed by network to wpa security with a new password and network name, doesn't work. The only thing I can do when the hack attempt starts is turn off my wi fi. I'm going to have to switch to ethernet for awhile, but it would be nice to be able to use my wifi (all firewall and security settings are set to max).
    I've also noticed that even when wi fi is off, the computer sometimes switches from one program to another, and sometimes new programs open by themselves. For example, if I'm reading a pdf, it might suddenly set it to print. When it's in sleep mode, it wakes up by itself.

Macscan shows no spyware, and sophos antivirus shows no virus.

It's possible that it's 2 unrelated issues.

I'd be really grateful for any help as I really need to get my computer working properly.

I should note that my older win xp computer that is connected via ethernet cable is doing fine, and hasn't shown any of these problems. I would greatly appreciate some advice, as i need my comp for job apps and my old computer is very clunky.

2. copykris Suspended

copykris

3. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

That sounds strange!

What router are you using, and do you sometimes see strange devices on your WiFi network?

Do you have the firewall turned on on the Mac?

4. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

5. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

+1 on reformat and reinstall osx. Then make sure firewall is enabled lock all settings to be changed with your password required. Change the wap password on your wifi again. Also make sure the log in settings to change stuff on the router do not have the defualt username and password its so easy to log onto the routers and get peoples passwords off because of the generic ip addresses.

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

hmm

sounds like a keylogger, when you change your password or wireless key they keystrokes are sent to the "person " who hacked the machine,

keyloggers can be installed with integrated software or online parts of websites with integrated technologies.

backup only your personal files, time machine backups are not recommended if you have a keylogger, they can be stored in almost any file be it mac or pc.

7. JoQuestion thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

the firewall is on, all the settings including stealth mode are on, and also locked. The password and username have also been changed to a random 10 digit alphanumeric password. The router is a 2wire router from Telus. I don't see any strange devices on my network.

There is the possibility that there is something other than a hacker causing problems. I don't know what though, perhaps some sort of rogue program on my mac? I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of this, saving the format and reinstall as a last option.

8. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Again, I would strongly enforce that you reformat and install os x again. Just save all your files. Like MacModMachine said, don't use a time machine backup to put everything back on.

9. JoQuestion thread starter macrumors newbie

I've figured out the problem. Everytime my msn keyboard is connected, these problems happen. So it actually is not hacking or any rogue programs. When I disconnect the keyboard, there is no problem. It's never given me any trouble before, so I suppose I'll try uninstalling and then reinstalling the software.

Thank you all for your help.

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Sorry I d'ont get it. Ho do you know it has been hacked ?

11. JoQuestion thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually assumed that b/c the problems had been occurring only when the internet was on, and scans showed no virus/spyware. the behaviour of the comp looked as if someone had taken over my computer. Anyways, the problem is resolved now, as I've found it to be caused by a faulty external keyboard. Thanks.

12. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Yeah I am not surprised. You really didn't get enough elements to think about a hacking tentative. Glad that you fix this issue ! ;)

13. mdw180 macrumors newbie

eh ****.

i wanted to suggest that before anyone else did.

i had a similar problem on my last pc.

14. JoQuestion thread starter macrumors newbie

once again, thanks for the help guys. i'm glad i found this forum.