Recently bought iphone 3g, upgrade in summer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by biw999, Apr 23, 2009.

1. biw999 macrumors member

So I've had my iPhone 3g for about a month now and I absolutely love it. Don't know how I ever lived without this phone.

Anyway, I knew before buying it that there were rumors of a new iPhone being released sometime this summer to coincide with the release of OS 3.0. Being the patient person that I am (not really), I went ahead and bought the iPhone 3g 16gb model.

My question is, come summer time, if Apple releases a new iPhone, can I upgrade to that model? I know if could, I'd probably be paying retail price right? I figure if I sell my iPhone 3g on ebay or craigslist, I could get the majority of the money I'd be paying to upgrade. I know nothing on pricing has been announced but, I'm just wondering how that would work.

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

3. biw999 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's not really THAT big of a deal though. Not big enough for me to continue using my old Razr2. It would drop calls and was VERY beat up. Phone was borderline unusable. It was either buy an iPhone 3g now, or attempt use a device that had a cracked nonfunctional outer lcd, 6 hours of battery life (new battery wouldn't work for some reason), would turn off randomly, drop calls, etc.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No one knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

5. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Yes, you'll be able to upgrade. It will just cost more than the $200 or $300 you paid for your current iPhone.

Also, it's possible you'll be satisfied with your current iPhone. The new 3.0 software will work great on it, and there will be plenty of new applications and other things to try. You just won't get the new features (which I think will be more storage memory, more RAM, a faster processor, faster (n) wifi, and a better camera).

6. biw999 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I kinda figured that. Not really a problem. I'd be willing to pay a little extra for the new features.

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

For what? :rolleyes:

8. biw999 thread starter macrumors member

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I'm sure (or rather, I hope!) Apple cooks something up. If they don't there are going to be a lot of rumour spreaders with very red faces :D

10. 226896 Guest

Well O2 here in the UK did an upgrade program, you could get an iPhone 3G, and it would end your current 2G iPhone contract, and start a new 18 month contract with the 3G. Hope they do a similar thing again this year, assuming a new iPhone is released.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's because the 2G wasn't subsidized.

12. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

So many threads on this.

Do you really think you're the only one?

Please search!!

13. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Eh, maybe if you bought it within a month maybe two or the release of the new one