Recently Deleted

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Paddle1, Jan 22, 2015.

?

Should you be able to turn off Recently Deleted?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    80.9%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

I don't delete pictures by accident, so why isn't there a way to turn it off? You have to press delete at least 4 times and switch albums to actually delete photos and clear space, this is tedious especially if the picture ends up in an iCloud album.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I would like to just be able to shorten the days to something like 3. It's a feature that most of us don't need, but it's nice to have for that one time you screw up.

3. Paddle1 thread starter macrumors 68030

That's true also, it keeps the photos for a whole month after deleting them, you should be able to customize the length of time.

4. EthanLMT macrumors regular

EthanLMT

It's convenient if you take a picture of someone and they tell you to delete it because you can still keep it :p

5. technosix macrumors 6502a

While I see everyones point, I remain far more disturbed with Apples tendency to almost flippantly release buggy software. Oh sure, I can hear it now "but they've always had bugs, it's to be expected".

To which I agree, it's normal to have _some_ bugs... Yet no where near what has been shipped since Apples become almost manical with its "must ship a new major upgrade each year" madness.

I'd hate to be one of the highly skilled yet over worked, subjected to obscene pressure, Apple Sofware developers these days. These poor guys and gals working madly behind the scenes don't have a chance to do their best work due to pressure that this annual upgrade practice creates.

Don't look now but Apples buggy iOS is rapidly destroying the great reputation Apple used to enjoy. The faithful are working harder than ever to explain away the faults, but you know the saying about putting lipstick on a pig...

6. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I like the fact that "it's there, just in case", but I would prefer my photos to immediately disintegrate rather than giving them a second chance. Just find it to be an extra step for no reason (YMMV).

7. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

8. iRoRo macrumors regular

iRoRo

Failsafe Only

Bit like Microsofts 'Recycle Bin' but for photo's, I don't see the problem tbh.
    Probably implimented as a failsafe just in case the user deletes a photo and then changes their mind later..
    Although I agree with choosing multiple photos to delete.
    Gone are the days of 'once it's deleted it's gone forever'.

9. Paddle1 thread starter macrumors 68030

The recycle bin holds files though, not just pictures and space isn't as crucial either. Recycle bin makes more sense than recently deleted.

10. notrack macrumors 6502

I think Recently Deleted isn't a good idea because it introduces inconsistency. Eiter there is a trash can system wide or none at all. Imo it just adds comlexity.

11. cynics macrumors G3

I actually used it once. I deleted a pic I thought I'd never need again, ended up needing it and was able to restore it.

I voted Yes though for the folks that don't want it. No reason it shouldn't be able to be turned off. However that goes for a lot of settings. The settings menu would be 10 miles long if every setting people wanted was available.

12. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

It doesn't bother me but if someone doesn't feel they need it, they should be allowed to disable it.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

What else do you want/can you trash? Apart from messages? There is no need for a trash can but every need for a way to rescue accidentally deleted photos.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Not when they can see it there in another album. It's a stupid feature in my opinion. I have to delete things twice because I hate clutter.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

What's buggy about what's being discussed?

16. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Where have you been? There is...

17. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I'm pretty sure there is not ... How do you do it?

18. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422104207.194121.jpg
    Note, I scrolled to hide my pictures for the sake of privacy.
    All I do is hit select in the upper right corner...

19. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Gotcha ... That's in the deleted folder. I mean't in the camera roll to delete all, sorry.

20. kolax macrumors G3

I'd rather it was 'move to trash' instead of the deceiving 'delete'. Then, getting to the trash should be a very quick exercise. I hate deleting a video from camera roll while in the camera, then having to open the Photos app and scroll all the way down to the bottom and open the recently deleted album.

It's a major pain in the ass because things you delete still use up disk space (the reason I tend to delete videos from my camera roll) and means I have to do multiple tedious taps and scrolls.

21. AppleGuruOne macrumors member

I like it and it doesn't hurt anything, so why have a setting to turn it off?

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Have you not read this thread? There are plenty of reasons...

23. AppleGuruOne macrumors member

Of course I have read the thread, I just don't think any of the reasons given are valid. Any other questions?

24. notrack macrumors 6502

All kinds of content that you can delete in any app. Keynote, Numbers, Pages, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF, txt, Reminders, Notes, todos, audio, video, drawings, collages etc.. People do a lot of great stuff on their iPhones and iPads.

25. Paddle1 thread starter macrumors 68030

It makes deleting things inconvenient. Making it an option doesn't hurt anything either so I don't know why you're opposed to it just because it does not bother you.