Recently got a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by InfinityFX, Nov 12, 2010.

1. InfinityFX macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm new here so first off, time for an introduction: I'm new to Macs. I've had PCs for as long as I've had computers. I had a PowerMac G4 a couple years back, but I never used it. It was vastly slower than the other computer I had at the time (and overclocked Pentium D) and I didn't like OS X 10.1. However, recently I picked up a Macbook from a friend at school. It's (I think) a 2008 model, I know it's a Santa Rosa with a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo P8600 (Penryn). It has 2GB of DDR2 667 (2x1GB) and a 250GB 5400RPM disk. It's running a fresh install of OS X 10.6.5.

It's fast enough for most things, but I'd like to give it a bit more of a kick. It's not going to be used for gaming, just general-purpose work (web browsing, word processing, maybe some flash games).

I figure the most logical thing to do at this point is to target the slow disk drive. A SSD is far too expensive if I am to get one that is large enough, and a standard HDD isn't really that much faster. Thus, my plan is to get a Seagate Momentus XT, probably the 250GB variant.

I'm probably also going to bulk up the memory. I think I'm going to replace one of the 1GB sticks with a 2GB one. Would 4GB make a huge difference vs 3GB, or would I be best off saving my money?

Also, this thing runs hot as hell. Like 90c loaded, and it's still loud as hell when under load. Anything I can do about this?

Also, any suggested programs that I put on it? I have MS Office 2011, OpenOffice, Mathematica, Firefox, and Chrome. Other than that, it's bone-stock.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Definitely up the RAM. It sounds like you'll be doing everything I would recommend. I can't answer you on the heat issue though.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you want to save a bit of cash, get 3GB. It will up your speed by 50% and it'll get all your tasks done no problem :)

4. InfinityFX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was my thought. Glad to hear that I had the right idea :)

Do you think that disassembling it, replacing the thermal paste, and cleaning out the dust would help much?
    That's an idea. I may get a 2GB stick for now, use that and one of the current 1GB ones, and then get another 2GB later if I want more :)

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Not sure about the thermal paste, but cleaning out the dust might be an idea. How old is the computer?

6. InfinityFX thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure it's right at a year old.

Any apps that you think I should get? I got Skitch, gVim, Adobe Reader, Transmission and a few others earlier.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

SMC Fan Control?

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I have the model immediately before yours (2.2 GHz C2D). Had pretty similar setup (2 GB RAM, 5400 rpm HDD). By upping the RAM to 6 GB (yes, it can take it) and the HDD to 7200 rpm, the computer is running so much faster than before. 6 GB is overkill for most people, so 4 GB would get you set up well. 2x2 GB isn't all that expensive, I think you'd save yourself about $30-40 by going with 3 GB, not worth it IMO.

Also, yours is about 2 years old.

The level of heat you're getting is kind of ridiculous. I'd try opening it up a bit and see if you can blow out any dust that's in there. I hardly ever hear my fan, so there's a possibility that your fan could be going as well. Granted, I have a hearing loss, but I could always clearly hear the right fan in my PowerBook when it activated.

9. Tempto macrumors member

In addition to this, I would recommend a laptop cooling pad, which I believe is a must for all laptops. It might reduce battery life by a bit, but in the long run will increase your laptop's life.

10. InfinityFX thread starter macrumors newbie

2 years sounds right, although I know that it was purchased a year ago.

So the general consensus seems to be to get 4GB, so I think I'll do that. 6GB really doesn't sound like it would be advantageous to me.

I'll open it up probably tonight if I have time and see what I can do about dust :)
    Fundamentally I can't be bothered with this. I haul this around a lot and don't want to bring a laptop cooler with me as well.