Recently Ordered 8GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mysticalone, Aug 16, 2008.

1. mysticalone macrumors newbie

So I ordered the 8GB 3g, and I'm wondering now if I should have gone with the 16GB. I don't have a lot of music, about 4.25 GB, I don't see it growing any time soon. So should I had gone with the 16GB?

2. shinenjk macrumors regular

Yep. You're going to be adding applications, movies, images, and more songs like you said.

3. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I think you would like the 16gb better. I have downloaded a suprising number of apps, have a bunch of music and a bunch of movies on my phone.....you could change your order if you want.....they are coming in alot faster now. I got mine in 4 days.

4. MakeMeDinner macrumors newbie

You're fine with the 8gb, the people recommending 16gb probably don't even have an iPhone. If they actually DID own the iPhone they would know the average app size(0.5mb.. 2000 applications to a gig.. you need 2000+ applications?)

Put a movie on at a time. Done watching it? Take it off and put on another. There is no reason to have a DVD collection on your phone.

Unless you're trying to upload RAW pictures, and high definition movies.. there is no reason.

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

8GB will do you fine, unless you have a horrendous amount of pictures and / or video that you'd like to add in addition to the music :)

6. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I am willing to bet that you listen to only about 2 GB or so of your 4.25 GB of music. It is all about managing your library. Having a lot of videos on your iPhone jacks up the storage space too...

My 8GB has about a gig left but I have a crap load of music that I could cut down.

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Not necessarily... I have over 100GB of music, and I listen to aprox. 18 - 21 GB of it regularly. But then I'm a music junkie :rolleyes:

8. MakeMeDinner macrumors newbie

i'm sure :rolleyes:

9. duncanapple macrumors 6502

If you can afford 16, get 16. If you can think of other things to do with $100, you would prob be fine with 8. Photos don't take much room as the phone optimizes them (which i think means shrinks) before it loads them.

As for videos, I agree with the above, how many do you need to keep on the phone itself? Other than when I travel/fly, i don't keep any. If I do, I put a show or two on there and it fits fine.

And for music, I also agree with the above. I have 12 gb of music on my computer, however I don't listen to the majority of it very often. I only have 2.5 gb of songs that I actually want on my ipod/iphone.

To give you an idea, I have 400+ photos, 500+ songs, 1 short video, and I am sitting with 3.92 free gb of space.

Hope this helps and congrats on the new phone!

- Chris

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Why the sarcasm? :confused:

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd definitely go with the 16gb if you can since its more future proof. The app store is only just beginning and future games & utilities that fully take advantage of the iphone's capabilities will be much larger files than the ones available now. Also, when you go on trips, you'll probably want to take more than one movie with you. It won't always be possible to swap out a movie that you have seen with one you haven't. If there were only a 32gb iphone out, I would have gone with that!

12. shinenjk macrumors regular

Uh, I have a 16GB iPhone. I returned my 8GB after 1 day of use because I realized I wanted to jam a lot of music/images/movies into my iPhone.

"Unless you're trying to upload RAW pictures and high definition movies, there's no reason"? LOL look at this guy. Mr. Know-it-all. That's about the crappiest reason you can give for going 16GB.

13. mysticalone thread starter macrumors newbie

ya I probably only listen to about 2.5 - 3 GB of the songs. There are some movies I would like to leave on there, e.g. Batman, Ironman really good ones...

I don't know, seems a bit tough for me to decide. Also I get a bit worried when I'm reaching max limit for storage even on the PC w/ 500GB of space and I'm only using 200 GB.

14. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I agree. There was no need for the sarcasm. I have and listen to the same amounts that you do. I guess some people don't understand that some people like music?

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I agree, it seems like a lot of people one these forums have a hard time understanding that people like us actually listen to a large chunk of our music. I have a 48 GB library and actively listen to ~18/25 GB of it. Of course
    I knew the storage limitations of the phone when I bought it, and my 16 GB is doing a banging job, but just because all you're listening to is the new Jonas Brothers album on repeat with a side of Hanna Montana doesn't mean some of our tastes are a little widerbroader (and more refined).

16. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Amen. Me personally I'd get bored stiff after a week if I listened to the same 4 or so gigs of music over and over again.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you don't believe that anyone has that much music. I have never had that little music.

[​IMG]

18. mysticalone thread starter macrumors newbie

19. MakeMeDinner macrumors newbie

Nah, I got a lot too. By the way, you guys sure do pat each other on the back quite a lot.. there's another term for it, but I don't want to get in punished :(

I have to put the songs in lower bit-rate so I can store all of it on my system.

[​IMG]

20. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Hahaha holy crap you guys listen to a lot of music.

I personally only have about 14-15 GBs worth of music...and about 7 I listen to and so I'm happy with an 8GB.

I wonder if there is a difference in battery life between a 16GB and an 8GB iPhone..