Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
So I purchased an ipad mini with Retina display 128 GB for my wife today and I checked using this site http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

And apparently it says that the ipad mini was produced in November.

Nice Name: iPad mini Retina (2nd Gen - Cellular)
Family name:
Group1: iPadMini
Group2: WiFi-Cellular
Generation: 2
CPU speed: 1.3GHz
Screen size: 7.9 inch
Screen resolution: 2046x1536 pixels
Colour: Silver
Production year: 2013
Production week: 47 (November)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 128GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: DL (China - Foxconn)

Should I be concerned about this? Being that it's been sitting on the shelf at the Apple store for this long? The battery itself was at 70%.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
No need to worry as the technology in batteries today is more advanced and can be stored for extended period of time with no damage. Over time a charged battery will gradually discharge without decreasing the life of the battery. Where you can encounter a problem is fully charging a battery and storing it in a hot environment.

You also get a 1 year warranty from Apple so no worries.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
No need to worry as the technology in batteries today is more advanced and can be stored for extended period of time with no damage. Over time a charged battery will gradually discharge without decreasing the life of the battery. Where you can encounter a problem is fully charging a battery and storing it in a hot environment.

You also get a 1 year warranty from Apple so no worries.

But what if the bits are expired? :eek:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
When I bought mine in February (128 GB model), The production week was 4 (January) so that I understand.

The one I bought for my wife yesterday has been sitting on the shelf for too long (since November last year). I'm not complaining but sitting in the shelf at the Apple store for that long???

Anyways, do you think it's a good idea to drain out the battery completely on first charge? Since it's been sitting in the shelf for about 9-10 month.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
When I bought mine in February (128 GB model), The production week was 4 (January) so that I understand.

The one I bought for my wife yesterday has been sitting on the shelf for too long (since November last year). I'm not complaining but sitting in the shelf at the Apple store for that long???

Anyways, do you think it's a good idea to drain out the battery completely on first charge? Since it's been sitting in the shelf for about 9-10 month.

No, unless you have OCD. By the time the battery fails or stops performing the way it should you will have seen the iPad Air 6. These batteries are a different breed, no need to worry. Use it, enjoy it.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Looks like its beyond the expiration date.

Give it back or you might get sick.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Alright I guess I'll just have to use it normally. Thanks.

Why would the date it was manufactured even matter as long as it is the device you wanted? The only time I worry about manufacturing dates is when there is a noticeable issue that often applies to first gen and first run products.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Completely different business, but sometimes we order products from the manufacturer and the build date in them is months ago. It might have sat on the shelf, but not necessarily the retail stores shelves.

I don't think it's a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.