Recently repaired 2011 15" MBP sudden battery unreadable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weeag, Mar 21, 2015.

1. weeag, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

weeag macrumors regular

Just got my early 2011 15" MBP back from Apple for the video repair extension program and everything tested fine after the repair. I reinstalled a second hard drive that I removed for the servicing and everything worked for about a day.

Today I cloned my OS (Yosemite) hard drive to a larger one and once I installed it suddenly the battery is showing not available and there's an X over it the battery icon. The computer only works when plugged in. Also, the battery charge tester does not work. The hardware test and various battery apps don't detect it either. I've removed the battery and reconnected it with no change. There's nothing wrong with the battery, Apple would have detected it when they finished their work yesterday.

Now, when I installed the cloned HD I tested the computer without the bottom case on and the computer was sitting on a metal cooling tray - is there a chance something screwy happened with some weird electric charge from that?

Any ideas what could be going on?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

It's quite possible something shorted by operating the computer on a metal pan. Consider that the bottom panel of the computer is convex so would provide more clearance than a flat pan would.
    It's also possible that the battery isn't fully plugged in. Take the bottom off again and make sure that it is.