Reception is different for each iphone... pics below

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneguy22, Aug 28, 2008.

1. iphoneguy22 macrumors newbie

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

One has around three bars and one has about full bars, the iPhone I was taking the picture with had two bars and they were all right next to each other except for the iPhone I was taking the pic with which was approximately 3 feet back

2. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

3. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

i think he is showing that even though they are very close to each other, they have different reception. so if he posted a screenshot, you wouldn't be able to see how close they were.

4. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

5. s2smooth4u macrumors regular

and would you have believed him...

6. Foamer macrumors regular

Take the one off the dock and post pics. Im not saying that is interfering, but to be scientific, they need to be used the exact same way, not one in a dock and one hand held.

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

If reception is bad on a 3g iphone, is that reason enough for an exchange? What process would apple do to check it>? My phone is on edge alot and drops alotta calls. It also reboots at least once a day when i try to use an app.

8. nozebleed macrumors 6502

1. My phone did the same thing with my girlfriends
    2. Ipod kept pausing, then rebooting occasionally, and apps crashed.
    3. I brought it back, told them what was going on, and they gave me a brand new one no questions asked. (except, did you restore it?)

9. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

to be scientific, you'd have to put them in the exact same place. so, put one down on the table, note how many bars, then move it and put the next iphone in the same place, facing the same direction, etc

10. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Cool!

11. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Does it matter if i've restored it or not?

12. willorrock macrumors member

void

it's void if you have one in a dock and the other in your hand. Especially as the antenna is plugged into the top of the phone but runs down the side (within the housing obviously).

I have also noticed reception fluctuations in different positions of how i hold the phone etc,

so as previously stated: on a table, same way, same position etc

13. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I was about to say the same thing and quote Einstein at the OP.

On every single phone I have ever owned has changed signal with a tiny variation on where it was, even rotating it changed the signal. This is expected behaviour for the iPhone really.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

O.P.

Please open the phone's keypad and type this in:

*3001#12345#*

It will tell you the signal as a number instead of bars. Tap the number to toggle with bars. (Hit home to revert back to just bars.)
    They're negative numbers, so -80 is better than -90.

So if they both have the same number, but different bars, it means they're reporting innacurately. If the numbers are different, they're actually getting different signals. Right now I'm getting -95 to -99 and it reports that as 2 bars.

Actually, it would be nice if EVERYONE posted that info, so we can see if certain bars are accurately mapped to certain numbers across all phones.

15. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

I'm getting 1 bar of 3G, then went into field test mode and am getting -97 to -101.

snverhallen

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This matches up pretty well with what I've seen. I find that -109 or so is where I lose signal.

17. bwhite850 macrumors newbie

18. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

4-5 bars, -80's fluctuating up and down with the most negative number -89

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

That happens a lot in the living room of my house.

My roommates all have iPhones, and it's not unusual for one of us to have 1 bar of 3G service while the others have 3-4 bars of 3G.

If you delve into the field test mode, you can see that the iPhone with 1 bar of 3G service is connected to a different tower than the other iPhone 3Gs that are sitting right next to it.

20. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You're joking, right?

As to the iPhone reception differences I've been experiencing that between my friend's iPhone and mine since day one. Anyone's guess why - perhaps when in close proximity each iPhone interferes with the other's ability to pick up the signal.

21. group09 macrumors newbie

group09

The one on the left with the lower signal looks like it's connected to something that isn't designed for iPhone. (I have a monster radio transmitter that doesn't work. Too bad.) Could that be interfering with the signal somehow?