Reception Issue Causing People to Not Buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

This is getting ridiculous. I just called a friend of mine that was planning on snagging an iPhone 4 within the next couple of weeks. He has a 3G and SWEARS BY using protective cases. He had multiple cases for his 3G.

I asked him if he was going to get the new iPhone 4 anytime soon, and he replied "i'm going to wait until they get these reception issues fixed." I replied by saying, "well you use a case on your iPhone, so you shouldn't have any issues at all. In fact, I get BETTER signal strength with this iPhone." He went on to basically say that he was still going to wait until they fixed this "issue" with a software update.

I don't understand why anyone that regularly uses a case on their iPhone, would be hesitant to buy the iPhone 4. A case shows the reception issue out the window. It's too bad all this bad publicity is making people think twice about buying this amazing phone.

P.S. I know there are other issues besides the reception problem, but the reception issue is the most common. Everything else should be easily fixed by getting a replacement. I don't understand why there are still people complaining about sensor issues. Go get a replacement already.

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Oh well, more available for the rest of us! lol

3. UofM Canes! macrumors newbie

Current iPhone owners planning to flip them later for a new model might be concerned over the resale value? I would imagine the value of a used phone that doesn't make calls well without a case isn't too good.

4. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

My iPhone gets service in places i've never gotten service before at, and where co-workers with Verizon and T-Mobile have no service at all. By next year, this will all be old news. The iPhone 4 is amazing, and it's truly sad that all people see when they hear about one (if they don't own one) is DROPPED CALLS.

I swear to god, I haven't dropped a call yet, and i'm on the phone A LOT.

5. UofM Canes! macrumors newbie

I guess it depends on your location. I do have the 4 but mine has dropped calls and data, not with the case though. Actually with the case I get better reception than I did with my 3G.

6. zoman504 macrumors regular

But what you need to understand is that a lot of people ARE dropping calls. I'm happy for you that you aren't, but plenty are. It's a real issue. Honestly, they shouldn't buy an iPhone 4 until this debacle of a launch is sorted out and a fix a truly found (if ever). I love Apple products, I do like my iPhone 4, but I'll admit that this whole situation is a f'n joke. No way these phones shouldve been released like this. Data issues, prox sensor, reception, yellowing, etc, all hardly minor issues.

7. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

In one year no one will remember this little hiccup.

8. apple2382 macrumors newbie

This is ridiculous! How dare you try to convince and seem to get mad bc he want's to wait. I swear some people that buy apple products act like they have to be a self promoter for the company. I'm having issues with my phone but im not gonna convince someone to buy or not to buy and I have stock in Apple. Just plain ridiculous and i see why some people hate Apple products or hate people who use them. Bc they always act like they have to go preaching to the world "oh how great Apple is". Come on people get a grip!

9. soundmanJP macrumors newbie

Not to kick an already dying horse.. Apple denies, the faithful follow..
    but yes this reception issue is stopping me from buying an iPhone4 at this stage.

Im a huge Apple fan and have many Apple products, but I always try before I buy.

When in 2 out of the 3 stores I checked out iPhones at (in Tokyo Japan so nothing to do with AT&T) I go from some signal to no signal using and holding the phone like I normally would, I have to think twice about my purchase.

Completely reasonable I would think.

Then you go online, the overwhelming position from users is that there IS an issue.. some choose to deal with it and adapt and other see as a serious defect.

The andtech review showing that while the signal is good but as soon as it touched there is a serious (and considerably more than competitors and previous versions) attenuation in signal level when holding the phone in what I consider a very natural position ( as does steve and apple if you look at their own promo material) can't be ignored.

The current answer of just showing less signal level all the time isn't really a reasonable response for a company I previously held in very high regard.

Perhaps this is just to allow them some time to tweak other underlying software and hopefully improve the whole experience.. while waiting for some slight perhaps externally invisible improvement in the production line.

This, as seen by my own eyes, is a great device, but with some serious user adaption needed at this point. If I have to keep this for 2 years.. it maybe better to wait for a revB with improvements, or the next model as you can be sure this particular issue will be addressed in some manner.

I had waited quite sometime to get on the iPhone buzz but after finally the version that seems to offer the device convergence I was hoping for is released it looks like another wait.

10. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Your one friend's second thought is like comparing a single star to a universe. iPhone Demand still exceeds supply. Your friend and others who think like him are not enough to make a difference. This thread OP feeds into the frenzy concerning reception, was not even worth mentioning.

11. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Think of it this way:

Would you go buy a car with a ton of rust spots all over it just because you knew you could slap a new coat of paint over it?

Probably not. People are having problems with their brand new iPhone 4's, it's indicative that yes something is wrong, hence the people with some levels of intelligence are obviously doing research before dropping the cash on a phone and being locked into a contract that could cause them grief almost immediately after the purchase (in the store, even).

I'd like to think that every person that has decided not to purchase an iPhone 4 at this exact time is a damned smart person indeed.

Is anybody gonna DIE right now because they decided to wait a few days, even a few weeks? Pretty sure the answer is no, as their current phones or service provider are probably working adequately.

Nobody - that means nobody NEEDS an iPhone 4 right this second, nobody. Wanting one is a different thing altogether. People using some common sense and realized that there might be something to all this brouhaha are doing themselves a big favor by waiting until some resolution comes, in whatever degree it does.

As for "everything being ok by replacing it," that doesn't preclude the fact that the replacements (as has been noted in many reports) have turned out to suffer the same issues, or worse. It's not a very effective solution when people keep getting asked to go out of their way to make returns to get replacements only to discover the replacements aren't much better. :(

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Supplies are going to be constrained for a long time. I think your friend is in the minority with their thinking. But that is ok.......more for everybody else.

13. krUnIzZlE macrumors regular

LoL

*Sigh* Apple FanBoyz....

It'l Be Better To Wait it Out. Im Pretty sure apple will do a "silent update/upgrade" without anyone knowing in a month or so after the craze is gone. so just wait it out. its the BEST option. Apple's latest statement makes no sense still so...

14. web4fun macrumors member

Couldn't agree more. Those not experiencing problems...good for you...but the problem is real and the folks that are saying that are saying there isn't a problem are kidding themselves. I enjoy the features of my iphone to say the least but I've never dropped this many calls and data ever on any service or phone. Clearly there's an issue..whether it's Apple's or AT&T's is debatable but I'm leaning towards Apple's IOS4 software as I did some testing with older 3 series phones and the 3 series phones in the same location on the older 3.x OS had no issues...the 3 series phone with IOS4 had similar type of connectivity issues so looks to be OS related..so dammit Apple FIXIT!

15. nozebleed macrumors 6502

who cares.

are you a paid apple rep or something? tell him to get the evo then

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Kudos for an excellent post. I could not agree more.... :)

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Opinions like this validate Apple. They enable them to let quality & functionality slide, knowing they can pass anything they wish off on the public. Those of us that know better become the enemy of the profit taker. Keep fueling the machine fanboys, Apple loves you.*

18. acurafan macrumors 6502a

same here, i'll admit i did try pre-ordering, now glad att's stupid system crashed preventing me from ordering one. i will sit it out for now; told my gf don't upgrade until apple fixes this mess. we will wait for the white or until end of the year.

19. saft macrumors newbie

Your friend sounds intelligent to me. There are too many great phones on the market that work without having to learn a different holding technique.

Even though this is the 4th gen iPhone, it is almost a complete redesign. Early adopters get to pilot a new device and work out the kinks, all the while living with issues. People who wait get a device that has already been tested by 1.7 million people.

So your friend is smart

20. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The misnomer in this whole issue is the idea of numbers and how people use them. The OP in his title leads one to think that large numbers of people are not purchasing iPhones because of the antenna issue. Actual facts show differently. Also he bases his post on a conversation with only one person.

Others on here claim that all iPhones have the problem when the facts show otherwise. The exact number is unknown and will most likely never be known.
    That so many claim to not have the issue tells me that those who claim that all iPhone 4's must have or do have the problem are just again wallowing in hyperbole.

I've often wondered how many of them actually work for competing companies. I say this seeing some who over and over in their post extol the virtues of other phones or services especially droids.

21. Munitalp macrumors 65816

E-Mail Steve and see what he thinks about this

22. army91c macrumors 6502a

When it comes down to it who really gives a flying monkey's butt who gets or doesn't get the i-4? The issues some are having are so in the minority that again, I don't give a fluck. I get awesome reception, no dropped calls, no issues what so ever. Sucks for all you folks that are having issues.... of course there is a very easy solution to your problems..... get rid of the i-4 and find a phone that better fits your needs.

Of course IMHO most would rather keep it and bitch but that's just my crazy thinking.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why don’t you mention that even if Apple fixed this issue, you’ve already stated that you are returning your iPhone 4 (if you already haven’t)? Since you don’t care if the issue is fixed, what’s your point in posting (even in posts that aren’t about the reception issue), other than to bash Apple for whatever reason you must have. You’ve made your point in numerous posts many posts ago; now it just seems like a vendetta. However, you’re a Droid user and someone got the iPhone 4 for you, so the vendetta doesn’t even make sense, if you couldn’t care less about owning the iPhone 4.