Reception issue: Disagree with Gizmodo petition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGiver, Jul 9, 2010.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I will receive my IP4 tomorrow...will i have the reception issue...maybe.
    In any case I disagree with Gizmodo statement saying: Apple fix the antenna problem or give ou a free bumper.
    Again I DO NOT WANT A BUMPER. If it is a real HW issue and if Apple ever fixes it I want them to recall my and all iPhone having the issue for a free exchange or upgrade...This falls under the warranty terms and hope they will have no choice!!! Maybe the reason why they will never acknoledge officially the HW issue and wait for the IP5 release.
    That being said...i am now crossing fingers.
    X

http://gizmodo.com/5573177/apple-do-the-right-thing-and-give-away-the-iphone-bumpers

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Well, even with a Bumper there is some signal loss, if held just so. But if you live in an area with good coverage, you shouldn't have any trouble.

3. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I live in Paris so a very good reception area...nevertheless i went to the Apple Store yesterday and death gripped many IP4 running on Orange operator. They all dropped to 1 bar while my 3GS was 5 bars death grip or not. I have called several genius...all had their stupid pitch prepared and explained the SW fix will come soon...i have told them it won't fix the drop call issue...and showed them IP4 going down to 1 bar speaking a bit loud so other customers could hear me...they were quiet embarrassed. Then they told me the SIM cards in the demo iPhone are not real...Yeah right...c'mon guys try again. And then told me i could buy a bumper...that was the breach for me...so i asked OK how much is it...they said they were stocked out...so i told them it means you have a real issue if you ask people to buy a bumper. They were kind of speechless and just mentionned again the incoming SW fix.
    I will wait for my IP4 and see...I don't care the bars going down as long as it do not drop calls every now an then.

4. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

So you argued about something you didn't have, about problems you really don't like and still you are going to get the iPhone4? It doesn't make sense to me.
    OTOH I have no problem whatsoever with reception in the Netherlands (and Belgium/Germany for that matter). The proximity sensor is sometimes turning on, but that's most likely fixed with a FWupdate next week, so no biggy.
    Perhaps it's different when you're with AT&T, but all the IP4's I know of here? No problem with reception; even got much better quality calls then my 3G and 3GS.

I do disagree with Gizmodo, they are just waging war against Apple because of the lawsuit that they might have for (knowingly) buying stolen property. If you do something like that, you know you will get in trouble, so be a man and don't start crying afterwards. Just enjoy the extra traffic to the websites and the extra revenues and get your lawyers ready, but don't start acting like a 4 year old after you've been found with your hand in the cookie jar.

5. winstano macrumors regular

So... You're moaning about the iPhone 4, complaining about problems that don't affect everyone and yet you're still getting one in the hope that it'll get recalled?

Something's off with that logic, sorry.

6. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Not logical? depends how you see it...
    I will pay this device a given amount of money and i find very legitimate to try understanding what the issue is with reception and if everybody has the issue. I do not have all the answers but know some have the issue and some don't...i am just hoping i won't have it...so i decided to order it. I will have no issues to return the iPhone and go back to my 3GS if i have the problem.

I am being a bit proactive that is all and went to the Apple Store...after seeing what i saw at the app store testing IP4 i am not confident but again i will see and make my own opinion about this issue.

My point at the opposite of Gizmodo's point is: if there is a real HW issue fix it in production and recall current revision...vs. fix in production and offer a bumper to the others...in all cases if Apple acknowledges the issue i have 2 years warranty and HW issue fall under the warranty...so they will have no other choice to refund or replace.

Time will tell...

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You're optimism is refreshing, however it's likely to be misplaced. As is you're excellent logic. Unfortunately in all but the rare instance, in Appleland logic is out of place... :)

Want a sure thing? Stay away from the iPhone 4.

Cheers

8. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Too late :D
    If not good I will return it...problem fixed. All people having the issue should do the same...which is the only way in my opinion to have Apple making a real move (assuming there is real HW issue). They won't care much about people moaning but keep the device...return them all and hit their bottom line.
    But again maybe what i say is not logical

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You're logic, and intensions are excellent!

Here's the problem, unfortunately Apple is too arrogant and cash rich for returns to have hardly any effect on the bottom line. In addition, their followers are highly unlikely to spend the time to return bad units. They'd sooner live with them. Steve Jobs ego prevents him from doing the next right thing, therefore it's a crap shoot at best.

10. army91c macrumors 6502a

Pretty ignorant statement to say. Most of us are happy with our i-4's and I will encourage people to purchase one. They have 30 days to return it if they're not happy so what do they have to lose? Nothing. Those that have issues, return your phone and get your money back and stop whining about the damn phone. I see many a whine post coming from the op.... If he feels the need to blog about a phone he doesn't have and problems he doesn't have then he will certainly not be able to resist when it's actually in his hand.

11. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

I don't disagree with it but it's in vain, I doubt it's a software fix but Apple will do no recall as that's the type of company they are.

If the bumper or something similar is a solution and they aren't willing to fix it, then I want one free as the product is faulty.

12. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Depends, all major companies (and i work for a big one...much bigger than Apple) need to build warranty reserves. It means they reserve a given amount of money to cover warranty cost returns. If there is a real problems and people start to return massively their IP4 this will kill their warranty reserve and will then have to cover it with money from bottom line..in other words cover warranty reserve gap with sales revenue...not good at all for shareholders! They can be rich but not meet shareholders expectations...if so they will need to find a fix that would "maybe" cost them less vs. continuing to receiving under warranty IP4. Reputation would also be affected, if not already.
    But well i am not working for Apple and maybe their financials are different...and you are right, this does not include SJ ego in the equation...it is worth millions of dollars i guess.
    X

A typical post from those who have no issues, pretty selfish i think. No need to loose your time posting this if you beleive what I/we complain about is useless. Would you have the same statement if you had the issue? Probably not...i may not have the issue but will surely understand those having it and not blame them for whining. They all know returning the iPhone is the solution but does not fix the issue...You are the ignorant here.

13. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You seem to have an intrinsic need to bolster your ego, like other fanboys, by making disparaging comments.*

Quoting you: "whining about the damn phone" is nothing more than your take on it. People on this forum are not whining, they're simply sharing their experiences or viewpoints. I might remind you this is a forum of public opinion. Therefore if it makes you uncomfortable, perhaps you should look in the mirror and ask yourself why?

Your time must be worth nothing, as you seem to overlook the obvious. If one spends all the time presently required to both obtain _and_ return an iPhone 4, that by itself is quite a loss. A fact I see clearly.*

Cheers...