Reception issue even with Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zamboe, Sep 25, 2010.

1. zamboe macrumors newbie

I got the Iphone about a week ago but never had this problem, I assume it is due to my living in a downtown area with good reception but since then I've been living in the suburb and I cannot make calls 60% of the time, I just hear nothing when I call someone and my friends have reported not being able to call me.

This is not due to the antenna problem either as I have the bumper on AND not covering the antenna area at all so I think I either got a defected phone or Iphones are just that bad with reception.

What do you guys think? can't really replace it since most store won't have it in stock. Only way is to return it and get a diffrent phone :/

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would go see an Apple Store genius about this.

3. Flipside186 macrumors member

Apple Stores generally have a replacement stock set aside from the equipment that is available for resale. If you take it into the Genius Bar and they find a problem (sounds like hardware), it is likely that you will be able to leave the store with a new iPhone.

P.S. Make sure to back up your iPhone (including contacts & pictures you would like to keep) prior to going to the appointment in order to ensure that you don't lose any data.

4. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I agree with the others. Take it into Apple. You should be able to exchange it for a new one since yours is only a week old.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This advice and information is spot on. I never realized the Apple Stores did this until I was in one day for something else and casually mentioned the yellow band on my iPhone I got at launch. They replaced it on the spot, even though no one was able to purchase one.

Good advice about backing up before you go in as well.

6. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I had a similar issue. I live outside the city but I always had good signal with my 3G and 3GS but with the iPhone 4 reception is horrible! I swapped iPhone 4s quite a few time and still had issues! So I think it's more of an AT&T issue then apples. However if you notice a change with a new one please let me know! Maybe somethings changed since I last got a replacement. Lol

7. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Same area:

1) Good reception with 3G + 3GS
    2) Horrible reception with iPhone 4
    => ATT issue (not(!) iPhone 4 issue)

Makes sense, dude. Makes sense.

8. zamboe thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not with AT&T, I'm with Rogers. It is definitely not the network as I had no problems with my previous phone.

Apple store genius lol first time I've heard of it, how fitting.

9. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I was told and don't quote me on this it's been a few months ago so I don't remember it verbatim, but the iPhone 4 works differently on the towers. Now I'm not sure if AT&T rep was just saying that to appease me at the moment. Because she went into a spill about how they were upgrading the towers in my area still. The thing is if I literally go up the road a mile and I end up with 5 bars of service. At the same time I'm also changing over towers too. This is the sane tower that I'd use when I'm at work 3 minutes up the road and I have perfect service there as well. So, personally I think it's an AT&T issue with certain towers in certain areas. Before it comes up, I'm using the signal app to know what tower I'm on.

10. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

The biggest thing that gets me is that I've literally been through 8 different iPhone 4s and they've all acted the same at home.

11. youlookingatme macrumors newbie

So, you're a cellular network expert then?
    Read the quote below:

Interesting.

".. they have all acted the same at *home*" Well maybe it's your home. 8 phones aren't going to fail.

12. zamboe thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm just because you don't have a problem with your phone doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. I guess all the threads about reception issues are just people imagining things. The world doesn't revolve around you buddy.

13. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I exchanged my first ip4 after making a "genius" appointment about 2 weeks after the launch date. At the store, I set my phone down right next to their display models. They had 5 full bars while mine had 1.

They grabbed a new one for me immediately, even though there was a huge waiting list for phones at the time.