Reception issue happen to all iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by agoat, Jul 17, 2010.

1. agoat macrumors regular

Is this issue happen to all iphone 4? but only notice by people in bad coverage? or is this where people never experience drop bars? I have an appointment for first time exchange and wondering if this happen to all iphone 4, then i would not go for the exchange.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you spend about 10 minutes browsing this forum you will find your question discussed about 1000 times. But the fact remains, there is no definitive answer. Based on hundreds of anecdotes, the odds that your replacement phone would exhibit the same behavior seem quite high.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

To all: I'm going to generalize here and as the previous poster mentioned there are lots of threads with detailed and conflicting information.

The current thoughts are: Yes, it happens on all phones. Yes, it is only noticed in bad coverage (low signal areas). People in strong coverage areas may not see a drop in bars but it is normal to see a drop in bars when holding a cellular phone.

Personally, I would get the free case and skip the exchange. Good luck either way.

4. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Low signal area = yes, you will notice it instantly because the signal is already bad.

High signal area = no, you will not notice it as bad because the signal is high already.

High signal has more to lose. Low signal has less to lose so you will see it more drastically in areas with poor signal.

Make sense?

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

We tested three iPhone 4s* yesterday in various locations.

Week 26 (4.0.1) went 3 Bars on 3G to No Service
    Week 28 (4.0.1) went 3 Bars on 3G to 1 Bar on Edge
    Week 26 (4.0.0) went 4 Bars on 3G to 1 Bar on 3G

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The reception issue is common to all cell phones and all other mobile computing equipment that uses antennas. I checked my iPad 3G last night and could lose 1 bar by covering the antenna with my hand.

It truly is cell phone manufacturers dirty little secret. Some are more susceptible to it than others. IP4's revolutionary antenna design makes it more susceptible to it, but if you put it in a case it becomes a non- issue.

7. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

Yes, all phones are affected...if you think yours doesn't drop bars when death gripped then YOU are holding it wrong!!! But I dont care cause I don't drop calls. And yes there are places where I can make my bars drop and place places I can not.

I think if you are consistently dropping calls then You should try to get a replacement.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Finally someone makes sense. I think everyone needs to regain their common sense.

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I get some bar drops here and there, but have to work pretty hard to get them. I always hold my phone left-handed. But I have had significantly fewer call drops/data slow-downs than with my previous iPhones.