Reception issue in a previously rock solid cell signal environment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jun 25, 2010.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Sorry to add to the reception frenzy but I have a rather specific question I could't find an answer to in the existing threads.

Is anyone able to replicate the dropped bars phenomenon (with their hand) in normally solid five bar location?

I am on business away from home and my wife shipped me my iPhone. I'm in Waycross, GA. There is no 3G here but the Edge signal is solid. The thing is, I can see the cell tower from my window!

I am absolutely, positively, unable to replicate the reported signal problem with my 4. I've tried all sorts of positions with my hand. Stays at 5 bars.

BUT...I'm wondering if this is due to the fact I'm next door to a cell tower?

Andy will I ever be able to have children again because I'm so close? :p

So far, this phone has been awesome. No yellow, no proximity issues and, so far (fingers crossed), no reception issues at all.

Comments?

-Badger

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

So far I've seen most people lose a few bars when they experience the issue, so if you normally have a full signal you'd end up with a weaker but still usable signal.

If you were using the phone in a poor coverage area, then that drop of 2-3+ bars would obviously cause you to get no signal at all.

3. cenetti macrumors 6502

yeah the guy at the gym was telling me the same thing....no matter how hard he tried he couldn't replicate the problem.... well, I took the phone and made it lose it's connection to "searching...../no signal" :D

He was holding the phone in one position for 2-3 secs and then moving his hands... it takes a good 30sec to minute hold without moving hands to make it lose from 5 bars to no connection.....

you'll need to count to 30sec when on the phone ..... no issue really... I am sure they'll make an app for that soon... remind me to move my hands app.... lmfao...

:D

I am sure they'll secretly fix the problem...I'll get one then.... :D

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Simply because you can see a tower does not mean:

1) it is the cell tower you are using,

2) it is an AT&T cell tower

3) it is a cell tower at all.

5. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Held my hand over the bottom left corner while covering the antenna in that area as well. Full 60 seconds. Solid 5 bars remained.

-Badger

6. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Point taken. Regardless, the signal here is rock solid and, since it is a VERY small town, I just assumed it was the tower.

Unless you're right about #3. It could be the water tower. It says "Welcome to Waycross on it".

:p J/K

7. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

ive sat here and held it left handed for 5 minutes and went from 5 bars to 4. did the same thing at work and went from 3 bars to 2. I could hold the phone left handed all day or even place a key to connect the antennas and it would never lose signal