Reception issues since 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bowlerguy10, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Since I have seen multiple people mention this within threads I decided that perhaps this warranted it's own thread!

Basically I installed the 3.0 GM and it was fine for a few days and then reception issues began to happen. I go to a school with patchy signal spots within certain classrooms. One day I noticed I went into one of these and then went outside and wanted to use my iPhone...and realized that the signal was still 0 bars even after leaving that classroom. It then switched to searching and was unable to find a signal STILL. I then switched off 3G and switched it back on and it came back up with a 3G signal.

I then am just sitting here in my room and I will pick up the phone on occasion to do something and will watch my signal just drop out to 0-1 bars at which point I can attest to the fact that it truly is this low as it will not send or receive a text message. Even when the phone is working correctly my signal went from an always 5 bar 3G signal to 3-4 at best.

Switching to Edge has yielded no positive results either as even that comes in and out between 1-3 bars and occasionally dropping entirely. I have also experienced failed phone calls with even a full 3G signal between certain people, possibly their coverage though they say they also have full reception so I don't know.

I have tried restoring, removing the tethering profile I installed and then restoring, removing my SIM card cleaning it and replacing it, calling ATT and inquiring about outages in the area, asking them just in general for signal help and to no avail I am still stuck with a phone with now seemingly patchy at best coverage, I'm not sure what happened between 2.2.1 and 3.0 but I don't like it.

Does anyone have ANY idea what could be causing this? I don't want my damn phone to be broken as it's been completely fine, I know other people are having this issue so the chances of it being my hardware are slim.

Thanks!

2. cdal1 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as you, exccept I just bought my first iphone (3gs 32gb). I have had at&t give me a new sim and also had apple restore the phone in itunes. Nothing has changed, I may try to go to an apple store (which is about a 2 hour drive) to replace the phone.

3. bretm macrumors 68000

My original iPhone won't hold a Wifi signal anymore either unless I'm sitting at my desk right next to the airport. Seems like it was ok yesterday, but today, it bites. Planning on getting a 3Gs once all the fallout is over, but this Wifi thing really sucks. Give me 2.x back already. Don't give a damn about a couple new features if it's basically bricked my iPhone to edge.

4. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I spent way too long typing this thread to let it go to the bottom unanswered....no one has any idea?

5. iCAR macrumors member

I had the same issue last year and have been experiencing it today too. I went from a almost perfect reception today to a new 3gs and very poor reception dropping every other call. I think with all the new phones being activated it some how interferes with the towers. After a couple of days it seemed to go back to normal last year after launch date.

6. thestaton macrumors 6502

my iPhone is now fcked with this problem as well. only way to fix it for me is to restart the stupid thing.