Recessed Jack In 3G Gone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, Jun 1, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

One thing that I thought was annoying with the iPhone 1st Gen was the recessed head phone jack, making you use certain headphones or buying an adapter, which is annoying. Apple probably hearing comments on this, do you think they will have a normal jack in the 3G iPhoone?
    They could still have it recessed, but it work for bigger jacks?
    Comments or thoughts?
    It's something i'd like to see, that i don't think anyone has mentioned yet about the wants and needs of the 3G.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

they fixed this on the touch. So I would think when they make a new form for the iPhone (which the new one is supposed to have) it will not be recessed.

3. RobUM macrumors newbie

Well the touch is an iPod..and has the same jack that all the iPods have. Every mp3 phone that I've ever owned has had a different style headphone jack...it's really not that uncommon to do so...

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

so, whats your point?

5. Templex macrumors regular

6. RobUM macrumors newbie

my point is that I would not be surprised (or angry) if the new iPhone had a recessed headphone jack...because chances are any phone I got would require me to buy special headphones (with exceptions, I'm sure)... saying that the touch doesn't have a recessed jack doesn't really mean they'll change anything on the phone. I don't mean that with any disrespect towards you or your statement.... just saying, is all... :D

7. kleo macrumors regular

Apple recessed it so it would be allot harder to break the headphone jack off inside the iPhone. If this happened the phone would always think you had the headset on making it impossible to make/receive calls ect...

with an iPod this isnt as big a deal because its just a music player but with a Phone you may rely on it for important stuff.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

none taken, I just didn't know where you stood.

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

On the earliest reports of 3G iPhone, one of the first things that was said was that the headphone jack is not recessed.

10. frosse macrumors 6502a

There seems to be a lot of strange ideas of why there's a recessed jack in a phone. Isnt the recessed jack there due to the built in mic in the headset?! :confused:

Is it even possible to create a mic featured headset without recessing the jack?!

11. neven macrumors 6502a

Can you explain what, in your opinion, recessing the jack has to do with the mic?

I think it was a bad decision overall. They may have wanted to promote use of the official white headphones (which I actually like) but I don't think it was worth it.

I expect the next version to have a normal jack.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dang, there goes my business of selling exacto knives and Swiss Army knives to iPhone owners that love to shave their headphone plugs about 1/8" now what do I do???:eek::confused:

13. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Load of old swollocks

Yes, it's because there is 3 channels in that jack. A channel for:
    Right
    Left
    Microphone

It may well do, but I doubt it. Unless they use one of the right/left channels as the recording input and use mono through the headphones through the other channel.

i.e.
    Normal use Music plays through left channel and right channle as it is supposed to.
    Answers a call
    Right channel is used to direct sound output from the phone into both headphones.
    Left channel is used as the microphone input for the phone

Not entirely sure whether this would work. Just putting it out there.

~Dray

14. frosse macrumors 6502a

Just as Draythor says, its due to 3 channel headjack: mono, stereo, microphone.

Well, atleast it should be... :confused:

15. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Phones without a 3.5mm headphone jack usually need an adapter, but there is no excuse in the iPhone. Its poor design.

16. frosse macrumors 6502a

Why not make a combined 3,5 mm/recessed jack?

Think about it, a special "Apple mic featured headset" that has a longer tip for the third channel. If you want to use regular earphones (without mic) you can do so. Should be possible.

17. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

The iPhone headphones, and the specifications for third party equivalents, with a slimmer plug-housing, together with the recessed socket on the iPhone were probably designed together expressly to ensure that the phone's function wasn't compromised by the use of headphones lacking a microphone. Customer reactions to this have been quite negative, though, necessitating a re-think.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider using a set of ordinary headphones with my iPhone. Or I wouldn't if I hadn't sold it...

18. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I Was Right... Did Anyone Come Up With New Change Rumor About This I Don't Think So!!

19. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

What was you right about??

20. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

It was pretty obvious that because of lack of user interest in the recessed headphone jack, that they would fix this issue.

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Engadget nailed the flush headphone jack and a bunch of other specs way back in late April.