Recession and Mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cash4chaos, Feb 25, 2009.

1. cash4chaos macrumors member

cash4chaos

I am just wondering how many people here have been affected by the recent down turn in the economy? I myself have put off purchasing a new mac and have even considered downsizing some of my toys , I am even considering a older powerbook running tiger. Your stories are much appreciated.:(:apple:

2. SnowX macrumors newbie

The economy hasn't affected my ability to purchase a new Mac, it's my upcoming wedding/honeymoon that has! I'll have to tough it out with my G4 until the fall...:(

... but then again, things here in Canada don't seem as bad as down in the States... yet.

3. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

It hasn't affected me..I've already saved up the money for a Mac Pro, just need the new ones to come out already.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I use a 2005 Mac mini, and will likely replace it with another Mac mini ($799) with a generic 20" inch monitor ($239) and not a 24" inch iMac ($1799).

And I am OK with using older versions of Adobe software and it will be a long time before a new Adobe suite comes my way.

For a portable, a netbook is just fine since it's only for internet and word processing, but if money was no object then a 17" inch unibody would be great. Love those TV ads.

This is a chance to use old stuff I once ignored, and to save money by avoiding impulse purchases.

5. cash4chaos thread starter macrumors member

cash4chaos

The recession post

I posted this thread for those who work at apple, and you know WHO YOU ARE !! I think this thread could help with Apples decision to introduce a net book or a 7x5 ipod touchscreen pro. Apple's market share will continue to dwindle with the downturn in the economy. I believe either of these product would be a home run in innovation and profitability.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had everything that I wanted for some time now. :rolleyes:

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I'm getting more work because of the recession, companies dont want to employ professional design agencies with all their high prices and wasteful spending on people to make the coffee to make their websites, so their turning to cheaper alternatives like freelance web designers like me who charge a lot lot lot less and do as good if not a better job.

Apples got more than $25 billion CASH in the bank, thats more than most companies on earth, expect a few oil companies, and thats only growing, faster and faster as it happens, so they arn't going to change their business model because of some slight blip in the western economies. Don't forget not every country where Apple sells its products is in recession, only a few countries that lived outside their means for a decade or so.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/10/29/apples-245-billion-the-case-for-a-big-stock-buyback/

&

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/02/23/apples-growing-cash-hoard/

8. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

I think that Apple will be fine in the recession, so long as they adjust their products and prices.

They really do need to bring down the base price on their notebook line. Something at $799 would be amazing.

9. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I haven't specifically been affected but my perception of my % chance of being affected in the next 9-12 months is going up -- meaning that my wife and I are becoming more risk averse. Also, with the new proposed tax increases we will likely spend less overall because we will have to pay more taxes.

Having said that, we have a ~2001 G4 800MHz that needs replacing and we will likely get a new 20". (although waiting on the new rev).

10. Digital Corsair macrumors newbie

A lower base price for an upgraded, single-configuration Mac mini would spark a few sales, I think.

11. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

The local Apple stores that I shop at are still packed with employees. These store are at malls where all the other shops have greatly reduced staffing. That tells me Apple is doing well considering, and they're smart enough to know that cutting service is a sure fire way to throw sales away.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I bought a MB and printer back in Dec and I'll likely buy an iPhone and Nano soon. Not affecting my purchases much.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That's a good sign for that store, and maybe for Apple. The store in the suburbs far from any large city where I am has fewer people. The local paper said the only store in that posted a profit is Hot Topic.

In the other mall a few miles up north, McDonald's is the only one doing it all, and still not in the red. It doesn't help the Apple Store near me that Macy's has put up an iPod kiosk right where they sell Volcom, Element, Paul Frank, Quicksilver, and Roxy clothing, in the same mall a few doors down. The top selling digital cameras under $300 dollars, the same ones at the Apple Store, and other Apple dealers, are sold in this same Macy's kiosk.

Times are very hard for mall stores around here. Macy's is doing swift business with the digital iPod/digital camera kiosk and in teen/youth clothing on that same floor, but overall the store is very slow as used clothing stores, the only other businesses around here to be doing well, have taken business away from Macys.

14. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Nothing affecting me here.
    In the past two months, I've bought:

- iPhone 3g 8G Black
    - Rev. B MacBook Air
    - Airport Extreme Base Station

I was in the Apple Store when I was buying my 3G phone, and the Apple employee I was dealing with said, "Haha, what recession?" :D
    Indeed that store was bombarded with people that day...

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I think if Apple plays its cards right, they could tremendously up their marketshare with the new 20" and 24" iMacs that will be coming within the next few months. I'm hoping for the use of the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9xxxS series CPU's, which have relatively low power requirements and quad cores, so necessary for the applications in iLife '09.

16. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I planned on buying my MacBook in October when they came out but I just couldn't I am in debt and I'm selling my house its really oversized for me. Once I sell it which my house it has 2 offers right now:eek::D I'll buy my precious long awaited MacBook.:D

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I would hope that if this happens, the Mac Pros would quietly get a processor upgrade to either the "i7" or something very powerful beyond the current CPU they are using.

There was a small window of time when the Core 2 duo surpassed a dual Xeon on some apps. I have not seen any benchmarks of the i7 or whatever it is to be called, but rumors say it will be the next real step. Of course, all processors make this claim, but only time will tell. Early 64 bit chips were supposed to kill the competition, but then apps took forever to get to use it correctly, if at all. When I heard the Xeon was going to be the Mac Pro chip, this first thing I thought was great, until you use it long enough until it gets too hot and slows down.

This has been an issue with very fast chips, the heat and greatly reduced performance.

18. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

In a recent news piece I read that Microsoft were going to make 50,000 people's jobs redundant (worldwide), due to the current economic downturn.
    I'd be very surprised if we don't hear something similar from Apple very soon.