Rechargeable batteries for mouse/keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vim147, Apr 23, 2012.

1. vim147 macrumors regular

Any recommend any good deals on rechargeable batteries and charger for magic mouse and keyboard. Need about 12 batteries for door alarm shaver etc.

Energizer, Duracell ?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use Sanyo Eneloop for everything. You can find them on Amazon. They don't drop power while sitting in a drawer like other rechargeables.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

+1 for Sanyo Eneloops. Best rechargeables I've used.

4. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

How long do take to charge ?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A couple hours.

6. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

Which charger do you use got them ?

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Get the Apple Battery Charger with six batteries from the Apple Store.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use the Sanyo Eneloop charger like in this photo. You can get the charger along with four batteries for $15 on Amazon.

[​IMG]

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Ideally, you need six batteries - two for the keyboard, two for the mouse and the remaining two, recharged and ready to replace exhausted battery.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, good point. I have eight. Two in the KB and two in the mouse, plus four in the charger ready to swap.

I suppose if money was tight, you could get by with four and just charge them overnight.

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you have a NiMH charger already, you can use that to charge your Eneloops. It even states on the package that any NiMH charger can be used.

I use my Apple charger for the Eneloops I purchased but any NiMH charger would do.

13. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I'll second the recommendation for Eneloops, but in general any low self-discharge NiMH should be quite similar. In fact, since these are presumably well-used peripheral devices, I'm not even sure you'd see any advantage with low self-discharge vs. "regular" NiMH batteries, but you might as well go for the former. An Eneloop alternative I've used with great success: AmazonBasics rechargeable batteries. They're less expensive and work more or less the same.

Of course, you'll need also need charger. I had a basic charger for a while which operated primarily on a timer, but it was difficult to charge partially-discharged batteries with it. I eventually bought a "smart" charger, the La Crosse BC-700, but you don't necessarily need one like that (though, for what it's worth, it's cheaper than Apple's charger and has more features).

14. John T macrumors 68020

John T

?? :confused: - Apple Charger with six batteries $29. La Cosse BC-700 sans batteries c. $39.

15. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

Am gonna get some Sanyo batteries but the cheaper chargers state nearly 12 hrs to charge. Which charger should that is not too expensive but charges in 5-6hrs. I need 12 batteries for household stuff too.

16. McGilli macrumors 6502

After reading this thread I decided to get some new batteries, Eneloops to be precise.

Went to Amazon, grabbed a 16 pack.

Then I proceeded to laugh my butt off when I saw the shipping charge....

[​IMG]

You would think I live at the South Pole or something....

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

:eek: Where do you live? Here are the shipping/vendor options I see for the same 16 pack on Amazon to a USA address.

[​IMG]

18. McGilli macrumors 6502

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yikes... what a ripoff. Shoot, I would drive you up a set of batteries for less than that. :D

20. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I use Eneloop, Duracell and Apple rechargeable batteries and chargers (lots of remotes and wireless controllers around the house). I haven't timed it for official numbers, but my son pointed it out also, the Apple charger seems about twice as fast as the other chargers. On the other hand it only takes 2 batteries at a time.

21. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It has been said that they are all Eneloops (that is if your Duracells are green/ white tops and made in Japan) just rebadged. I use Eneloops as well (or some higher voltage and mAH Rayovac rechargeables that I have had for years. Which ever you get, make sure they are the higher voltage ones. Whereas a standard cell will run from 1.3 to 1.7 volts (1.3 being the level that they report as dead), lots of the rechargeables from from 1.2 to 15 roughly. this is why most devices report the batteries dead quicker than standard cells as when the Cell is initially on 1.4V, it doesn't take long to drop to sub 1.3V and trip the low battery warning from most devices.

I also highly recommend the BC-700 (it is what I use and have for years) as it allows one to deep cycle and reclaim cells as well as adjust the output amperage to extend the cells life.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've used Duracell and Energizer chargers and have found that without using a noisy 15 minute charger, the massive Energizer charger is a lot faster than the Duracell (by hours). It charged 4 2650mAh Duracell's in 4 hours whereas the biggest Duracell charger charged 4 1700mAH Duracell's in 6.

I wonder if the Duracell Stay Charged batteries are the rebadged Eneloops?

23. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Fortunately, I got the Eneloops and Duracell very cheap on sale at Costco, so I really wasn't concerned with the brand name. I just go for the cheapest price :)

I'm pretty happy with the chargers the battery sets came with, don't mind leaving them go overnight. But when I realized how quick the Apple charger works I didn't mind that I paid extra for the set.

24. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I was ignoring the price of the batteries (didn't realize Apple's came with six), but the BC-700 price, apparently, varies quite a bit. I got if for much less a few months ago, and Amazon now has it back down in the middle at $33.

I still do prefer the BC-700, however, since its display is informative, it has different modes (both for rate of charging--and OP, slower chargers usually prolong battery life, BTW--and other possibilities like a "refresh" mode) and it can charge more batteries simultaneously as well as AAAs in addition to AAs. Just throwing it out there as an option. I personally got tired of having no idea what was going on with my other chargers and was glad when I finally bought this.