Recieved replacement MacBook Pro today!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by D-Love, Oct 30, 2008.

1. D-Love macrumors regular

I had to send my MacBook Pro back a few days ago for flickering white lines and (I thought) a screen with slightly muted colors.

I received my new one today and I'm happy to say it is PERFECT :D. No flickering, no dead pixels, and the screen's colors are nice and rich with good contrast and deep blacks. I couldn't be happier, this thing is gorgeous.

Oh, and my Crumpler Considerable Embarrassment bag arrived as well, almost at the same time LOL. The MBP fits perfectly in it, and it is smaller than I thought it would be. Couldn't be happier.

Felt like Christmas today! :p

2. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Im going go receive mine tomorow or Monday (replacement) and I really hope it's going to be perfect.

3. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, found one potential issue...maybe its not and I'm just being paranoid.

The fans. I was ripping a movie with Handbrake and the fans turned on. No big deal, its a CPU intensive task so I expected it. Thing that bothered me was that when I tilted the MBP at all the fans made a louder whirring sound like they were rubbing up against something. Is this normal?

Edit: I had it on my lap and when slightly tilted there was no problem, it was only when I tilted it to an extreme angle or moved it fairly aggressively.

4. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

5. itcomic macrumors member

quality control suck and the part apple use are worse than dell. There is nothing you can do beside live with it or return it.

6. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Good thing Apple's warranty replacement is good. :D

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

"Hey guys! My Macbook Pro is absolutely perfect. In light of that I decided to put it through a number of unreasonable tests that would never occur in daily use and now it's imperfect. Apple sucks!"

8. iBunny macrumors 65816

I had a problem with my fan being loud, too loud and making horrible like buzzing noises. I sent it back they are giving me a new one. Great.

Hopefully I dont have the same issue, or some other issue like a flickering screen or w/e :mad: grr apple

9. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Totally uncalled for.

The laptop is gorgeous and I did not notice the fan noise until they spun on after hours of DVD ripping via Handbrake. Completely reasonable considering the CPU intensive task I was giving it. I had the laptop on the table charging as I was calibrating the battery. I noticed that when I tipped the laptop while unplugging after it was done charging that the fan(s) made a noise like they were hitting something while turning.

I was not putting it through any sort of unreasonable test, I was simply ripping a damn DVD. It is the only flaw I have noticed and am not sure it was even a flaw. That is why I asked the follow-up question. Your response sir is completely out of line.

10. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't think mine was too loud, I understood them spinning on doing what I was doing. I just got a bit concerned when I heard a sound that seemed like the fan blades were hitting something when I tilted it.

Normally the fans shouldn't spin on unless you are really pushing the CPU.

11. iBunny macrumors 65816

Mine was really loud. I guess some people were having the same issue, and could only hear it in a totally silent environment, but mine was really loud as soon as I turned my computer on. It actually got better as the fans sped up. Now I am sort of a mechanic and it seems to me like the bearing in the fan was bad, no big deal. I would have taken a simple fan replacement but Apple said that because the MBP was such a new style, they didnt have parts yet to fix it, so Now im getting a whole new computer.

12. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like a waste. The fans are nearly as easy to replace as it is to install new RAM. They pretty much just pop out and a new one can pop in.

13. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Update.

Finished encoding the DVD today after work. The MBP picked up the process on Handbrake right up from where it left off after powering off automatically. Very nice. Fans were going full bore at first and disk drive booted up, and indeed the noise was there when I tilted the MBP from side to side but it wasn't TERRIBLE. Soon after though, the fans quieted down and then I could move it all over the place with no problems. Fans were still going, just at a low RPM, and I could only hear them when putting my ears right up to the case.

Bottom line is, I'm not worried about this anymore. The fans are incredibly quiet during normal usage and you can't even tell they are on. This is one seriously awesome piece of technology!:D

Thanks to all who threw their .02 in on this thread. :apple:

14. James17 macrumors 6502

Just thought I would chip in. My Late 08 MacBook Pro started making this noise a few days after I got it. A replacement is on its way and I sent a recording of it to someone at Apple. They've also requested that I send this MacBook Pro to Engineering at Apple for investigation. I've agreed with the person at Apple that if there's any issues with the 2nd one then it's the refund route.

15. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Was it making the noise while doing normal tasks(surfing web, chatting, checking email, etc) or did it just happen when the fans were going full bore during CPU intensive stuff?

Mine made the noise when the Superdrive was spinning and the fans were going full tilt while ripping a movie. And even then, only when I picked the MBP up and tilted it to fairly extreme angles. Right now mine is whisper-quiet and I don't really have a complaint. I figure its probably not a good idea to be moving the thing around all over the place while a DVD is spinning and fans are going full bore.

16. James17 macrumors 6502

It makes noise all the time no matter what I'm doing and even when idle.

17. delude macrumors 6502

D-Love, glad to see you have a MBP that you're happy with :)
    May I ask, do you put it straight in your crumpler case or in a sleeve first?

18. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

I'm glad too! :D

I haven't taken it anywhere yet, but when I do I'm leaning towards putting a Bodyguardz skin on the bottom.

19. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Congrats on the MBP replacement, just wondering, is your previous MBP (the one that got replaced) is a old MBP or the late 08 MBP?

Im wondering that will those 8600M GT MBP's replacements will get the new MBP or what?
    Also since the warranty is like extra 3 years (if Im not mistaken, for the GPU problem), will they give you a new MBP or what?

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

can you post a few pics of the your bag with the laptop in it please?

21. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Will do. I'll try to post it tommorrow.

Wheelhot, mine was a replacement for the late 2008 MacBook Pro. This is my first Apple laptop. :)

22. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh. Yah, yours DOES have a problem. Either that or you have canine-like hearing. :p

23. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Aah okay, cause I bought mine May 08 w/ GeForce 8600M GT and since the recall will last for 3 years something like that, I wonder if my GPU were to fail in the next year or something like that, will they replace my MBP to the new one or they just fix it or I can pay a lil bit more for a whole new MBP :confused:

24. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Here ya go. Sorry about the day or so delay, laziness bug hit me. :p

[​IMG]