Recieved screen and its damaged in one corner, can it still be used??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ian.C, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Ian.C macrumors regular

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of help, I recently recieved a new screen for my 2011 MacBook Air.

I cracked the screen and looked on eBay and found a new screen for £150, so I ordered and and 4 days later it arrived. All the outside packaging was perfect and no signs of damage.

I open the box to check the screen before I started the dismantle and install of the new screen. This is when I realised its been damaged in one corner.

My question is not sure you will tell from a picture, could is till use this as its a pain to send back as I really need to use my macbook whilst mobile.

The damage is in one corner and I'm not sure if it's just surrounding glass or the actual screen damage. I didn't want to dismantle my MacBook without at least a chance of it working..

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot

Ian[​IMG][​IMG]

2. drpod macrumors newbie

Hey Ian,

First of all, I am a technician who works on Apple products daily. The LCD may work, but it also could have sustained damage to the backlight and to a lesser extent the panel.

Am I reading correctly that you paid £150 for the panel - this is well over the going rate for just a panel like this. The panel is a lot more difficult to replace than regular PC laptop screens as the clamshell is held in place by adhesive - I would advise buying an entire clamshell assembly, if possible, if you have not done such a repair before.

Mark

3. Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, I don't replace that many and yes the macbook airs are a pain but for some strange reason I enjoy repairing them.

I have repaired quite a few in my own time for friend and family, retina, airs, iPhone's etc from replacement screens to logic board repairs.

The prices that I have access to this was the cheapest I could find for just the panel, apple wanted to charge me £450 for the clamshell including screen. I didn't want to buy it from abroad so the cheapest I could find it in the UK was for £150.

From the schemematic I have access to the backlight is connected to the small board the hangs of the screen. I don't like taking them apart unless I have all the parts that's I'm replacing to hand due to dust etc. I was wondering due to it being my personal machine I was going to see if it would work. I suppose I have nothing to lose and still can return it for a replacement if either the screen doesn't work or the back light fails to emulate when connected.

I have all the tools to replace it at hand... Not sure might give it a go in the morning.

Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated

Ian

4. drpod macrumors newbie

Hey Ian!

Great to hear from you.

They are - I'm not sure if it's plain LCD's that you've replaced, but the unlike the iPhone etc where it's a whole unit, the bezel etc are held in place by glue, and I've found that once it's been disturbed it's not quite the same as it originally was.

I'm not sure if you've had a look on eBay, but the panels that I've seen are about £35-40, for just the LCD, if you're set on just replacing the LCD panel.

I'd also take a look at The Book Yard, an Apple Parts supplier in Liverpool. They're great guys - they sell the LCD panels for £82 inc VAT and entire clamshells for £172 inc VAT. If you are a professional shop, they'll also offer trade pricing, just give them a call and they can open a trade account for you. If they ask, say Mark from Dr Pod sent you :)

Mark

5. Ian.C, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

Ian.C thread starter macrumors regular

Hi mark,

I checked eBay and for my model and type of panel the cheapest I could found was £150.

I will have another look and check the place you listed in Liverpool, thanks for the help some of the older machines get more expensive to fix as they get older. It's a nightmare.

Update...

Old screen removed, all adhesive remove from top clam and front bezel we are now ready to exchange the panel I have as the damage is more than comestic unfortunately.

Here's a little picture of my almost naked MacBook Air [​IMG]