Recipe Database Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arcticmonkey227, Jan 9, 2009.

1. arcticmonkey227 macrumors member

I've been working to help get my recipe collection digitized and am unsure how to proceed. I found a really great database app called YummySoup! , but I have 1200+ recipes I want to enter and can't fathom having enough time to do it all. Is there an easier way to type/scan/import my recipes? They're all typed or pasted onto 3x5 cards right now.

2. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

Well, another way might be to scan them into a photo management software, like iPhoto. No point in using YummySoup if you can't type them in (which is the only reliable way to do it) and add all the necessary metadata. However, if your recipes can be found online (like food.com) then YS could get the recipe data from them (this option is only feasible if your recipes are are just printouts from these sites, not homegrown recipes).

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If the recipes are typed out, and unavailable online, then you could scan the text using the ocr settings. It will get most stuff correct, then you can save it as a file, make the few spelling corrections needed, and copy/paste into the database fields.