Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElysiumY2K

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
London
I got a 4S already and my old iPhone 4 is just sitting there collecting dust. One of my friends is interested in buying it but i told her that the home button is a bit f-ed up. Basically there's a delay to it, pressing it/double tapping sometimes doesn't register and i have to do it 2-3 times for it in order to multitask/go back to home.

So i'm just wondering if i walk into an Apple store would they try to fix it?
It's out of warranty of course but i'm just wondering if anyone else tried to fix a out of warranty Apple product before the store and got away with it?

I'm just asking here so it will save me a trip and queueing... :D

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
You can try but there is no guarantee you will have success. It's out of warranty so Apple is under no obligation to fix it for free. You might get a really nice Genius who will replace the phone ( Apple doesn't fix iOS devices but just replaces them ) or you might get one who will follow normal policy and refuse. Whether someone else has had luck or not has no bearing on it and you can't go by other's experiences. The chances are they aren't going to replace it.

ElysiumY2K

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
London
Yea i thought so too. I love Apple, but even i know they're not that generous lol.

Thanks anyways Mr.C.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
My mom's iPhone 4 had a messed up home button and it was out of warranty. The genius took it to the back, cleaned it out, and now it's working like new.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I got a 4S already and my old iPhone 4 is just sitting there collecting dust. One of my friends is interested in buying it but i told her that the home button is a bit f-ed up. Basically there's a delay to it, pressing it/double tapping sometimes doesn't register and i have to do it 2-3 times for it in order to multitask/go back to home.

So i'm just wondering if i walk into an Apple store would they try to fix it?
It's out of warranty of course but i'm just wondering if anyone else tried to fix a out of warranty Apple product before the store and got away with it?

I'm just asking here so it will save me a trip and queueing... :D
It says you live in London. I don't know what the rules are like in England, but almost everywhere in Europe you have a 2-year warranty. Apple is always diffecult when you tell em that, but check your local consumer rights website or something like that. Maybe there's some info on there.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
On my old phone, my voice was garbled and sounded like I was under water. I took it in, despite it being out of warranty. They took it to the back room and cleaned out all kinds of pocket lint from inside the speaker grill (oops).

So you just never know. Best bet, if you have a flexible schedule, is to bring it in during business hours where they may not be so busy. This gives them a little more leeway to take a look at it, even if it isn't covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.