Reclaiming storage on iCloud

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ahostmadsen, Apr 8, 2018.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I'm running out of space on my 200Gb iCloud plan -- and I do not want to pay for 2Tb! (why is there no plan in-between?). The issue: I have deleted files from iCloud drive in Finder and my iCloud photo library in Photos, but it has zero effect on the amount of storage used. I emptied trash (and deleted permanently in Photos), but still zero effect. What do I need to do to reclaim the storage?

2. chrfr macrumors 604

Look in System Preferences/iCloud/manage space.
    Be sure that you've emptied the trash and remember that when you delete photos from your library, they're only moved to the "recently deleted" folder for 30 days. If you want those photos really gone, you'll need to remove them from recently deleted too.

3. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Screen Shot 2018-04-08 at 7.38.34 AM.png
    I did all of this. The issue can be seen from the following screen shot. It claims I have 2.1 Gb on iCloud drive, but only 400 Mb "on disk." The latter number seems about right. Although I deleted and emptied trash, the 2.1 Gb does not become smaller, only the "on disk"
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2018 ---
    Adding: the main space on iCloud was taken up by Scanner Pro. I disabled "iCloud" on both the iPhone and iPad apps (using Dropbox instead), but still I have the 2Gb used on iCloud.

4. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

This happened to me. I had to call Apple support and eventually it was resolved (by resetting and wiping my iCloud Drive). Good luck.