Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
What happens when computers finally die? As in they are no longer of any value on eBay or anyone?

With manufacturers like Dell just rolling more and more computers out, and Apple releasing new iPods everyother day, what eventually happens to all the waste?

Are we properly disposing or reusing it? or is it sitting a landfill?

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
I know that some of the computers are dumped into less developing or third-world countries for re-use. I doubt they have even seen an iPod before.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
In MN there are a few locations to take old comptuers. One will take monitors, and give you money for them if they power on (they don't need to display).

I have a small load to take over to them soon, an old Pentium 166 (may keep this actually) and a few dead monitors (no money :( )

image.php

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
There are a couple places around me that take back used/dead computer equipment, although I can't remember where they are right now :confused:

I don't know about money back for working stuff or not, but I know there are a few places you are supposed to take your computer crap so it can be properly disposed of.

Jomoma

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Another great thing about Macs- even the old ones still hold some value.

I know that dell and some other pc makers offer to recycle old items for free at different times throughout the year.

Also, many schools would be happy to take older technology off of your hands. I'm a technology teacher, and as long as it can run some flavor of linux, I'll use it as a computer kids can explore linux on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.