Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
I am looking for an external HDD that will spin down and go to sleep when the iMac does. I currently have a USB powered one that does not do this, and keeps me awake.

I want to use it for Time machine, so it'll need to be a 3.5inch and therefore mains powered unit.

Can you get drives that do this, or does their power just stay on until you flip their respective power switches?

I have heard that buffalo drives will dim their lights when they sleep, does this mean they will sleep when the iMac does?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Western Digital MyBook drives do this. I have a 500GB MyBook, works nicely with my iMac and sleeps when the iMac sleeps.

+1 on that. I have a MyBook pro that will sleep, although I actually do power it down and such. For purposes of automated scripts and such I would indeed allow it to sleep if need be.

computerman-8

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
I am looking for an external HDD that will spin down and go to sleep when the iMac does. I currently have a USB powered one that does not do this, and keeps me awake.

I want to use it for Time machine, so it'll need to be a 3.5inch and therefore mains powered unit.

Can you get drives that do this, or does their power just stay on until you flip their respective power switches?

I have heard that buffalo drives will dim their lights when they sleep, does this mean they will sleep when the iMac does?

I got the Vantec NexStar GX NST-370GX and it sleeps when I shutdown my MacBook Pro. It also has a Heat Sync and Automatic Fan control, plus 3 additional USB ports, and its the same size as AirPort Extreme. It's perfect for me.

gr8phan

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006
NJ
Does anybody know if I can make a Newertech Guardian Maximus sleep with my mini G4? The drives spin down, but I'm not sure if it is actually 'asleep'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.