Recomend an external HDD that sleeps with the iMac.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Stitch, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Stitch macrumors newbie

I am looking for an external HDD that will spin down and go to sleep when the iMac does. I currently have a USB powered one that does not do this, and keeps me awake.

I want to use it for Time machine, so it'll need to be a 3.5inch and therefore mains powered unit.

Can you get drives that do this, or does their power just stay on until you flip their respective power switches?

I have heard that buffalo drives will dim their lights when they sleep, does this mean they will sleep when the iMac does?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Western Digital MyBook drives do this. I have a 500GB MyBook, works nicely with my iMac and sleeps when the iMac sleeps.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

+1 on that. I have a MyBook pro that will sleep, although I actually do power it down and such. For purposes of automated scripts and such I would indeed allow it to sleep if need be.

4. dborja macrumors 6502a

I have a Maxtor Basics 320GB and an Iomega Silver Edition 500GB (available at the Apple online store) that both sleep with my iMac.

5. Stitch thread starter macrumors newbie

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No idea. For whatever it's worth, mine is USB.

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Nope, it doesn't matter. The MyBooks all sleep, as do the Seagate FreeAgents.

8. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Am I the only one that finds the thread title naughty? :D

10. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Do you have "put the hard drive(s) to sleep whenever possible" enabled in the Energy Saver system preference?

11. Ultem macrumors newbie

My LaCie Big Disk Extreme has a sleep function, when my macbook is switched off, the drive is also switched off (sleep mode).

12. Stitch thread starter macrumors newbie

hehe I did when writing it ;)

Anyone used Macxtor one touch 4? I can get a 500GB one for £70 from pixmania :D

13. computerman-8 macrumors member

I got the Vantec NexStar GX NST-370GX and it sleeps when I shutdown my MacBook Pro. It also has a Heat Sync and Automatic Fan control, plus 3 additional USB ports, and its the same size as AirPort Extreme. It's perfect for me.

14. gr8phan macrumors member

Does anybody know if I can make a Newertech Guardian Maximus sleep with my mini G4? The drives spin down, but I'm not sure if it is actually 'asleep'.