recomendable 1TB External?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by justaregularjoe, Nov 28, 2008.

1. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

I know... atrocious spelling.

Anyways, I am looking for a good external hard drive 1TB in size. However, I really need something that is quiet and more importantly, cool. My brother just had a 500GB LaCie (http://www.lacie.com/ca/products/product.htm?id=10282) die from overheating and that cannot happen to me.

I am about to fill up my current 320 GB hard drive, but I want to go big, and buying one external (not 2 twins and doing backups) is much cheaper

So... anyone have recommendations?

PS. This will be going along with a new MacBook, so good looks are a bonus

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I have a WD 1TB drive (can't remember which one) within this enclosure. It NEVER gets hot, and has no fans whatsoever. The only noise is the drive itself.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Either a Western Digital or Time Capsule.
    Whatever you do, don't get a Seagate; they've been having a lot of problems lately.

4. nickbr00tality macrumors newbie

I haven't had it for that long -- got it today -- but i managed to pick up a 1TB Western Digital My Book for $149.99 at Best Buy this morning. And I didn't have to wake up early, wait in line, or camp out. :D And so far, I'm really loving the look and everything about it. Makes a little noise, but it's nothing too bad.

5. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I built my own about a year ago, and I still do the same.

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

well you can get a 1.5TB drive for $120 from newegg and an enclosure for not much more…

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

WD MyBook Studio 1TB single drove looks very good with my Alu iMac

via FW800 it is very Quick too!

9. jaspertang macrumors newbie

im using Western Digital MyBook Essential 1TB and everything is fine.

10. det2004 macrumors 6502

+1

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

You guys have this drive working successfully wirelessly, mounting to the desktop with Time Machine and all that?

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

As long as it's properly set up, TM won't care that it's wireless. For wireless connections, the TM computer will make a sparse image for the updates.

With all this said, I won't buy a Western Digital hard drive. I've been a statistical anomaly as all three of my WD desktop drives have failed. But what has permanently removed WD from my list of vendors is their unethical customer service - worst I've ever dealt with.

Best option, IMO, is to get a low power 1TB drive (e.g., Samsung's 5400 rpm drive) and put it in a fanless aluminum enclosure, such as from Macally.