Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numberwizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
I just bought a beautiful 23" LG w2353v to use as an external monitor for my MacBook, and I was wondering if I could ditch my old 20" CRT TV and use the LG as a TV as well. It has a VGA, DVI-D and HDMI input. I originally thought that I could run a DVI or HDMI cable from my Comcast digital cable box, but it turns out my cable box only has a coax output.

So I have two questions. The first is, would I be able to upgrade my cable box through Comcast to get one with a DVI or HDMI output, and if so would it cost much? The second question is, if it wouldn't be easy to get a new cable box from Comcast, is there another way I could hook up my existing cable box to my monitor for relatively cheap?

Thanks in advance.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
most of the time a HD box is the same price as an SD box (and same for HD & SD dvrs)
Check with your provider, they should change it out for you. You may have to have a tech come out to hook it up for you which you could be charged for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.