Recomended Check in / Out equipment App?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by randomerratum, Aug 25, 2010.

1. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Hello,
    I'm working for a small production company and we've been finding ourselves in need of a powerful and easy to use system for checking in/out equipment, hard drives, tapes and other various bits... We also rent equipment equipment regularly and would like it all to come through the same process.

The requirements are;
    1) Has to be SIMPLE, QUICK and un-intimidating to use. Very Mac/OS X like.. pretty, inviting. Meaning, that anyone, even directors and producers feel comfortable enough to check their own stuff in and out. If they don't, it'll never get used.

2) Some sort of shared database; where anyone can modify from multiple computers... or at least view current locations of items... a web interface and/or iPhone counterparts a plus! We're integrating MobileMe into our workflows- any kind of compatibility there would be cool.

3) Easy to search and see the location of a given object.

4) Difficult to screw up... I can't have trigger-happy producers undermining the simplicity of an important system by clicking the wrong things.

Also, the ability to integrate a barcode scanning system would be quite cool.

Does this sound like FileMaker? Bento? What's the difference? I've never used either and am willing to put *some* work into setting it up. If something else exists, I'd LOVE to know about it.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

2. smbier macrumors newbie

Have you found any apps or programs for checking in/out equipment?

Scott