Recommed a good/cheap modem to use with Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iWoz, Mar 31, 2010.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I bought an Airport extreme but didn't realise it doesn't come with a built in modem, I was previously using a draytek vigor 2820n and would prefer to sell it than not use it for its full potential, and just purchase a cheap reliable modem to work with my airport extreme.

Any ideas would be great

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I assume you mean a DSL modem?

Any DSL modem supported by your ISP should work fine with the AE.

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Yep ADSL, I need a standalone modem i presume for the airport extreme, My ISP only provided me with a wireless router with a built in modem

4. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

5. masteroflondon macrumors regular

Have a look at the Draytek Vigor 120
    http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

That claims to work with Airports. I bought one for a client recently, not yet installed, so I don't yet know from experience. I imagine you have found Draytek to be a good brand?

As far as routers are concerned, I have found that cheap and good are mutually exclusive, which is why I have been moving to Draytek. Whether this applies to modems, I do not know.

Currently I am using a Linksys AG241 as a modem for my Airport Extreme. The Linksys was very unreliable as a router, especially if I used the inbuilt VPN. Having bridged its routing functions so it serves only as a modem, it has been working fine. The Airport handles all the routing, back-to-my-mac and everything works perfectly, which it would not with the Linksys as a router.

6. kirreip macrumors regular

You probably don't need a new modem. You have two possibilities:

1. You leave your wireless router provided by your ISP do the job of managing the network (DHCP) and you set your AP extreme to bridge mode. It will work as a wireless access point then. (Maybe you disable the wireless function of your ISP router, if you don't need it anymore)

2. You disable the router function of your ISP router (disable DHCP server). This way it will work as a modem only. Now you set up your AP extreme as a router. Doing so will let the AP extreme do the job of managing the network.

Hope this helps

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Woz, you don't need one. I asked from DoFoT9 (the networking God) and he said your current router is a modem as well, so connect it as you did yesterday but disable the wireless function, so you can be sure the AirPort is used.

Come to MSN ASAP and I'll help ya