Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larenzo4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
hey guys sorry if have repeated the question :( im a noob to this forum and don't know much about macs.

ok here goes... I am looking to buy a mac laptop, as i've never had a mac before and i'm very interested in getting one as i've always been a pc user.
if this helps my pc spec are:

Intel Core 2 Quadro Extreme Edition
geforce 8800gtx 768mb
2gig ram

I would like a laptop as i already have a desktop pc. i will be using the laptop as a normal user not as much work as i do on my pc. however i will be playing games (wow, bf2) if possible and occasionaly be using microsoft office, watching films on the move and heavy web browsing. I would like to get the best gfx card the mac laptops can give if i play games on it, I've read and watch the mac adverts and fully aware how macs are more stable and requires much less hassle overall than what you would get from a pc.

I have read about the laptop being able to dual boot mac os / windows os. which is a big bonus as i can switch from one to another if i want to use a specific programs, and that takes away the idea of me thinking of getting a pc laptop. I've been told by my friends not to get a mac as i dont do any media work (video editing, gfx work, bearing in mind they have mac also) and i should go for a low end mac book (black and white ones 12 or 13" inch ones if i remember correctly)

sorry for being a bore.. or if any of this doesnt make sense im sorry :D however i need you tech heads to give me an honest opinion to which one i should go for or that i should forget the idea of getting one, and reasons why if possible..plssssssssssssssss :)

thank you for reading

:rolleyes:

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Either this:
13" White MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
80GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
64MB RAM Intel GMA 950 Graphics
Superdrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
Subtotal $1,474.00

or if you are really a heavy gamer, get this:

15" MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
ATI Radeon X1600 128MB RAM
SuperDrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Accessory Kit
Subtotal $2,174.00

You could install Boot Camp from Apple's site for windows gaming.

Larenzo4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
hey mr dartzorichalcos....

thanks for the reply :D ok the second spec sounds good. having a bigger screen and also better gfx card.. but am i stupid to get such a laptop soley more for the gaming side than the other tasks in hand? since two of my friends seem to think "you dont do media work etc its not for you, or am i right to say these laptops are aimed at all round users? kinda aiming this at the mac book pro's since the hardware seems like a good spec and something more likely i would get. also i have the idea in my head connecting the laptop to my car headunit if that helps determine which one i will need :D thanks

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis

thanks for the reply :D ok the second spec sounds good. having a bigger screen and also better gfx card.. but am i stupid to get such a laptop soley more for the gaming side than the other tasks in hand? since two of my friends seem to think "you dont do media work etc its not for you, or am i right to say these laptops are aimed at all round users? kinda aiming this at the mac book pro's since the hardware seems like a good spec and something more likely i would get. also i have the idea in my head connecting the laptop to my car headunit if that helps determine which one i will need :D thanks

Get the 2nd option if you are going to be doing:
1. Heavy gaming
2. Graphics intensive apps
3. Need matte screen
4. Need FW 800
5. Need ExpressCard 34
6. Want to use a 30" Display

Otherwise, save your money and buy the MacBook.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden

Well, here's thing. I own a macbook and overall it's a great little computer (aside from the fact that I have to send it in for repairs..), BUT I have found that I can't stand such a tiny screen. the laptop is mainly for doing wordprocessing and webdesign (and some light movie editing) on the move, however, I find that I can't really do most of those things because I get annoyed that I can't view a full page - or even get a sense of what a full page view looks like. AND everything is just a little too small.

I think I'm going to sell once the repairs are done (I have a little cluster of dead pixels that need to be fixed - and possibly some overheating on the CPU) and get a refurb low end MBP CD.

- just some thoughts from a user

YT

Larenzo4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
thanks for the reply yojitani. you made a valid point why not to get a mac book... why did you have to do so many repairs? you been abusing it lol? i mean you said "u find that I can't really do most of those things because I get annoyed that I can't view a full page - or even get a sense of what a full page view looks like" which makes me wonder how on earth could i play a game or do stuff on that tiny screen. i dont think the gfx card will be able to push out the gfx for the games i would play let alone mulli-task in and out of programs. i will be connecting the laptop to my hdtv which is 30" plus so i kinda think i would benefit from the pro as it has a decent gfx card right? hmmm i do burn dvds aswell, but as always i have to convert them which requires alot of cpu power. so maybe that will help you recommened me one still.

so twoodcc you think i should wait till a new one comes out? are theuy releasing a new laptop very soon ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.