Recommend 10GBase-T Card for 2012 oMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ZZ Bottom, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I looking for some recommendations for a 10GBASE-T PCI-e card compatible with 5,1 MP running 10.8 or 10.9. Preferably I would like one that may not break with OS updates. The intended purpose is to interface with a professional level shared storage for video production.

What brands/models have any of you had success with?

Thanks!

2. JQuick macrumors member

I know that small-tree has a history of good mac support, and their drivers are already working in mavericks.
    http://www.small-tree.com/10GbE_Cards_s/4.htm

Sonnet makes cards which are also bundled with thunderbolt expansion boxes, so might make a safer bat if you eventually migrate to a later mac pro. Unfortunately the drivers for those PCIe cards (the presto series) show up as "testing" for Mavericks.

ATTO cards look interesting, though I have not very familiar them. In the driver support section for some ATTO PCIe cards it says "thunderbolt aware driver for mac os x 10.6.8 and above." This suggests that they may test both natively and in external expansions boxes.

3. echoout macrumors 6502a

Love my ATTO card. Works great in my oMP, Magma TB chassis and Windows workstation. Very easy to set up and crazy fast

4. ZnU macrumors regular

++

ATTO is the obvious choice on the Mac platform. Their SAS and 10 GbE hardware is basically the standard in high-end Mac-based pro video, and for good reason. Their stuff is solid, and they clearly develop/test it with Mac-based pro video use cases in mind — you're not buying gear targeted at the Linux/Windows server market that has had some OS X drivers written as an afterthought, the way you are with many other vendors.

5. ZZ Bottom thread starter macrumors 6502a