Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Hey guys - can you provide some recommendations for a case for the iPad 9.7 2018 model? This is for my 9 year old grandson, so needs to be medium sturdy but doesn’t need to be a kid’s theme.

Thanks!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My grandson has been using his parents iPads with minimal cases. So really looking for something with medium protection - kind of in the middle between an Otterbox and minimal.

Last edited:

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Maybe a UAG case. It’s a little less bulky, but still provides good protection. Another alternative is the Tech21 case sold at the Apple Store. Both cases have good reviews. My daughter is the same age and these are a couple of cases I’m looking at myself.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Maybe a UAG case. It’s a little less bulky, but still provides good protection. Another alternative is the Tech21 case sold at the Apple Store. Both cases have good reviews. My daughter is the same age and these are a couple of cases I’m looking at myself.
Awesome. Thanks!

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Hey guys - can you provide some recommendations for a case for the iPad 9.7 2018 model? This is for my 9 year old grandson, so needs to be medium sturdy but doesn’t need to be a kid’s theme.

Thanks!

BookBook by Twelve South?

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I would definitely second the recommendation for the UAG Metropolis Case for the 9.7” ipad.
They come in either red, black or blue. It provides great protection and multiple viewing angles, while still having a slim profile.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Moko, as per Unlimited above. Cost effective, but if dropped may be one time protection.
To be fair I have Moko cases on my other cheaper tablets that the kids use and they have been dropped a few times and no damage so far. iPad is bigger and heavier than them so might be easier to bust the case but I think it would still survive a couple drops

Only damage I have after a year and a half on the one case for my lg tablet is a small crack around one of the spots holding the magnet in. But still holds it closed fine

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
To be fair I have Moko cases on my other cheaper tablets that the kids use and they have been dropped a few times and no damage so far. iPad is bigger and heavier than them so might be easier to bust the case but I think it would still survive a couple drops

Only damage I have after a year and a half on the one case for my lg tablet is a small crack around one of the spots holding the magnet in. But still holds it closed fine

I dropped my Moko protected 5th gen from just a couple feet, and the case corner shattered. Very slight dent on the iPad, but nothing serious. Could very well have been much worse without the Moko. But if you read many Amazon reviews of the Moko, the corner shattering scenario on any sort of impact is quite common.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I dropped my Moko protected 5th gen from just a couple feet, and the case corner shattered. Very slight dent on the iPad, but nothing serious. Could very well have been much worse without the Moko. But if you read many Amazon reviews of the Moko, the corner shattering scenario on any sort of impact is quite common.
I can come back to comfirm this, dropped it about a foot off the couch and cracked bad right around the headphone jack! iPad is fine but case will need to be replaced now

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I can come back to comfirm this, dropped it about a foot off the couch and cracked bad right around the headphone jack! iPad is fine but case will need to be replaced now

Sorry to hear what happened to me also happened to you. I guess the Moko did its one time job. Nevertheless a nice case everyday.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.