Recommend a cheap pc.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by travisjacques, Oct 28, 2009.

1. travisjacques macrumors member

Hey guys I know this is a forum for mac users, which I am. But you guys are always helpful and knowledgable. I need a pc tower that can handle world of Warcraft. Would really like a cheaper machine as it s for my brother. I have an ati video card I could swap in for the integrated graphics a cheap machine will likely have. The cheaper the better. Thanks guys.

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Ive seen a new $400 laptop with 3Gb ram and an ATI card inside you dont need much ro run wow, check best buy out.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Cheapest way would be building your one for your own. You can get great gaming PC for ~500$, even for less than 400$ if you build it. My recommendation is below:

Motherboard
    CPU
    GPU
    RAM
    PSU

+ Case, OS etc

4. travisjacques thread starter macrumors member

If this was for me, I would be building in a heartbeat, however I'm not around enough to help my brother troubleshoot any problems so some kind of warranty and prebuilt machine may be better? I saw Dell has an inspiron for like 250 usd.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm looking it now and I can easily say. don't spend your money on that crap. It has single core CPU and intergraded GPU. What's your budget buy the way?

6. travisjacques thread starter macrumors member

could i not add my ATI graphics card to it? I know its single core but for that price.... i would say 350 is top end budget.

7. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Give a look to Dell's machines. I have had many of them at my offices and they have always been good companions.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

+1 for Dell, they're decent enough.

I would think if you build one yourself though, it'll be less, and much better. Tell him he can have a cheep dell, or if he wants a better PC, that you'll make it for him, but he will have to learn how to troubleshoot it himself.

P.S. If you go AMD you can probably pull it off for under $350.

EDIT: Also, the Dell only come with 1 year of support. Otherwise you need to pay more, upping your costs. I'll offer to make you the computer if you don't want the hassle, but you're going to be paying a fare amount for a good computer from Dell/HP/etc.

9. travisjacques thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the offer hehe. I have never actually built a PC and would like the challenge. I may wait until black friday/cyber monday to see what kind of deals i can get. Thanks for the help guys.

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Honestly building a PC is very simple. Just get all the screws and cables necessary that's it. It's less than one hour work then.

11. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

+1, i just made a mini itx pc yesterday in under one hour, people make it seem difficult but it is very easy to do

12. iOrlando macrumors 68000

cheap pc .... hmm

anything with a dell logo on it should do

13. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

- AMD Athlon II X2 or X4 CPU (under 100 $)
    - 4 GB DDR2 or DDR3
    - any motherboard, that has an AMD 780G or better (758G for DDR3) chipset

I woul do it myself, if you know, what parts you want.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. When I built my first one, it was exciting but also quite scary because I was building it for my friend so screwing up something would have cost me a lot money and maybe a friendship.

Nowadays, I build them 40 hours per week so I could build one with my eyes closed :cool: