recommend a clever business name for me

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Anarchy99, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i plan on starting a computer store doing repairs and sales i might even branch into selling some other electronics i want a clever business name so any recommendations?

thanks

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

By this domain and you're in business: www.computersexchange.com

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Where do you live?

Some names are already registered, so don't get yourself bit.

What are your initials?

Getting creative in an extremely crowded field is going to be difficult.

You're going to stick to repairing clone PCs, building clone PCs? Hope you're somewhat remote, because competing against the internet and Best Buy is going to be difficult.

Are you planning to have a physical store, or just run it out of your place?

I've worked for a company building PCs, and Best Buy's arrival destroyed us in a matter of months. Customers talk loyalty, but you can't compete with purchasing power, warranties, etc.

Sorry to sounds like I'm dumping on your idea. Far from it. But the former PC guy in me says watch out. The business degree in me says I hope you have an excellent plan.

:)

4. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

to answer your questions:
    my initials are W.S
    i plan on sticking to repairing/building clone pcs
    i would be running out of my place
    keeping it parttime especially while completing my CIT degree unless business was good enough to allow me to quit my low paying part time job
    i also had aspirations to start a small web store with computer stuff to accompany it in lieu of a real retail store
    at least until it takes off which it may or may not
    sadly i dont have a excellent plan yet

5. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

MS Windows Salvage

Chips-R-Us

CTL-ALT-REPAIR

Motherboard Depot

7-Geeks

L.L. Chipset

McUSB

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Nice one.

How about Kamino Computers...

Star Wars reference, the cloning planet. Where the Fetts lived.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Go with a Field of Dreams reference.

"If you break it I will come (and fix it)" :D

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Sounds like a great name for a fetish site.

Anyways... ¬.¬
    OP, I have no suggestions. When thinking of a name for my company, my co-owner and I threw some words back and forth, and started with the word "green." We knew we wanted the word Green somewhere. Then evolved from there.

Advice: Think of a word you really like, then model around it.

9. shawn00711 macrumors newbie

Computer Tricks & Fix
    Anywhere Repair
    teddy bear repair <3 lol jk

THATS ALL I GOT

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

You have a low profit/low volume bussines model. The only way you will be able to get ccostomers is by being the lowest price. You don't want to that.

Better to find a way to charge a premium price. Do NOT try to compete on price.
    You need tooffer a premium service that no one else can match. People will pay for that.

Put this another way: Do you want to work for 100 hours at $3 per hour or work for 3 hours at $100 per hour. You are doing the former when you should be doing the latter. I'm serious. No one in their right mind will pay $100 and hour to have a PC built. That is a skill many 13 year old kids have.

And yes, any decent consulting engineer who works on the customer's site could get $100 and hour. You want to be the guy who hires the 13 year old for $3/hr to build the PC, not the kid.

11. Anarchy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

any ideas on how to do the later?

12. iOrlando macrumors 68000

if you need to ask that on here...i suggest you look for another job. I mean, we...macrumors posters..are an intelligent bunch...but i wouldnt come here to get critical business concept decisions.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

differentiate your product somehow, add value that customers can't get elsewhere. Most likely you are looking at either not doing it at all or serving a niche community. Gaming PCs with water cooling and other custom mods may be the only viable way to do this unless you are just out in the middle of no where.

14. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

loving the office space movie reference. "Hey Peter, man, check out channel 9, check out this chick." Lloyd