Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Hi,

Can you recommend me a lightning dock that meets specific criteria?

1. It has to be heavy so I can undock one handed.

2. Has to fit both iPhone 5s and iPad mini Retina with and without cases (both are fairly slim, Spigen Neo Hybrid for iPhone and Apple Smart Case for iPad).

3. It has to look good.

I have looked at the Henge Docks Gravitas but it's quite pricey (£90 from Amazon!), doesn't charge at full speed according to iLounge and I'm not sure you can charge the iPad mini and iPhone using the same adapter.

The Lightning Dock is not bad but I gather the supplier is not reliable, I don't know if you can undock one handed, if I don't use a case then aluminium on aluminium must scratch and the method of cable insertion looks like it will cause stress failure.

The Just Mobile Alubolt is reasonable but you can't undock one handed.

Have I missed any?

valexer

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
Have you already seen EverDock? I think, somehow it fits with your needs. It looks good and I guess all models of iPhone and even iPad would fit. It isn't heavy but tt will remain firmly planted on any surface if you lift your device thanks to its micro-suction technology. It's priced at $49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzVi0JjPgiU

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Have you already seen EverDock? I think, somehow it fits with your needs. It looks good and I guess all models of iPhone and even iPad would fit. It isn't heavy but tt will remain firmly planted on any surface if you lift your device thanks to its micro-suction technology. It's priced at $49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzVi0JjPgiU

I hadn't seen the Everdock, but it's an excellent suggestion! Thank you very much. I will read some more reviews and check if it works with cases.

For anybody else... additional suggestions are welcome. I'm weighing up all options.

UPDATE: After reading about the Everdock I probably won't buy one. Many reviews seem to point out some manufacturing issues where your devices can rock on the stand. They may have sorted this out and I would be willing to take a punt on it if I could buy it in the UK because I could return it. But without any outlet in the UK I'm not willing to take the risk. My preference would be for Fuz to update the block and remove the old connector compatibility because this might solve some of the problems. But soooo close.

Last edited:

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
If you put some poster tack underneath any dock, it will stick to the surface it's on and negate the need for a heavy dock. It also won't leave any marks on most (any?) materials.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
If you put some poster tack underneath any dock, it will stick to the surface it's on and negate the need for a heavy dock. It also won't leave any marks on most (any?) materials.

Nice tip. If I was looking in the lower price range this would be acceptable, but because I'm willing to splurge for a more expensive unit then I expect it to be more effective.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013

It's not listed as compatible with an iPad, and looking at the support mechanism (or lack thereof) gives me the impression an iPad will break it.

----------

Twelve South Hirise

I know a lot of people like this one but I'm not a fan of the way it looks. Just a personal thing really.

So I have been in touch with Fuz Designs, who make the Everdock and they impressed me with their customer support, I'm eligible for a refund if I'm not happy. On this basis I have decided to order one and will post back here with my thoughts once it arrives (which will be several weeks because I chose the cheapest overseas postal option).

Whatwhat91

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
Hi,

Can you recommend me a lightning dock that meets specific criteria?

1. It has to be heavy so I can undock one handed.

2. Has to fit both iPhone 5s and iPad mini Retina with and without cases (both are fairly slim, Spigen Neo Hybrid for iPhone and Apple Smart Case for iPad).

3. It has to look good.

I have looked at the Henge Docks Gravitas but it's quite pricey (£90 from Amazon!), doesn't charge at full speed according to iLounge and I'm not sure you can charge the iPad mini and iPhone using the same adapter.

The Lightning Dock is not bad but I gather the supplier is not reliable, I don't know if you can undock one handed, if I don't use a case then aluminium on aluminium must scratch and the method of cable insertion looks like it will cause stress failure.

The Just Mobile Alubolt is reasonable but you can't undock one handed.

Have I missed any?

I just got the lighting dock and I love this thing. No question about it. I do agree about the method of cable insertion, but I have 2 spare Apple cables so it's not a huge deal. If the Apple cable I am using with the lighting dock fails, I'll probably just get a cheap Amazon basics lighting cable to replace it.

You can undock with one hand. I use it with my iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2. Both have Apple cases. For the iPad Air 2 to dock you probably need both hands, but you can undock with one hand. For the iPhone 5s it's really fluid for docking and undocking with one hand.

It looks amazing. I'm really happy. It shipped from Canada, but was fast. About 1 week from when I placed my order.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
I just got the lighting dock and I love this thing. No question about it. I do agree about the method of cable insertion, but I have 2 spare Apple cables so it's not a huge deal. If the Apple cable I am using with the lighting dock fails, I'll probably just get a cheap Amazon basics lighting cable to replace it.

You can undock with one hand. I use it with my iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2. Both have Apple cases. For the iPad Air 2 to dock you probably need both hands, but you can undock with one hand. For the iPhone 5s it's really fluid for docking and undocking with one hand.

It looks amazing. I'm really happy. It shipped from Canada, but was fast. About 1 week from when I placed my order.

It's just straight aluminium isn't it? So it may cause a problem without a case.

Whatwhat91

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
It's just straight aluminium isn't it? So it may cause a problem without a case.

Yes and no. I'm bored so I'll take a couple pics to show you.

This is the dock Apple should have made. I am really impressed by it.

Give me like 10-15 mins...

Whatwhat91

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015

I took my Apple case off to show you. You can adjust how high the connector sticks out. When I have my case on it is basically flush. Without my case there is s slight gap.

If I wanted to I could adjust to make the gap smaller or larger, but I have it set so it is flush with a case on. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153

Whatwhat91

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
I took my Apple case off to show you. You can adjust how high the connector sticks out. When I have my case on it is basically flush. Without my case there is s slight gap.

If I wanted to I could adjust to make the gap smaller or larger, but I have it set so it is flush with a case on. Does that make sense?

Pic 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 162

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
With case

I see, I guess be careful if you don't use a case (Spigen Neo Hybrid?). It looks nice.

I'll let you know how the Everdock pans out. I think The Lightning Dock looks a bit nicer than the Everdock but I appreciate the silicone rest for different cases, the fact the cable is not contorted to the same extent and the micro suction is cool. Check out this video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHB8D1kyF6I&feature=youtu.be

Whatwhat91

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
I see, I guess be careful if you don't use a case (Spigen Neo Hybrid?). It looks nice.

I'll let you know how the Everdock pans out. I think The Lightning Dock looks a bit nicer than the Everdock but I appreciate the silicone rest for different cases, the fact the cable is not contorted to the same extent and the micro suction is cool. Check out this video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHB8D1kyF6I&feature=youtu.be

Looks cool. Let me know how it turns out. I am slightly worried about the cable being contorted. But since I just got the dock this week, it's too early to tell. Hopefully it's not an issue, but I am inclined to accept the risk. That's how much I love this thing!

vanlam

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
A nice thing about the Moxiware's "The Lighting Dock" is the ability to easily adjust the back support (you just twist the translucent peg). Really useful for adjusting the dock to support multiple devices with different thicknesses.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Looks cool. Let me know how it turns out. I am slightly worried about the cable being contorted. But since I just got the dock this week, it's too early to tell. Hopefully it's not an issue, but I am inclined to accept the risk. That's how much I love this thing!

So I received my Everdock today and promised I would post back with my thoughts. Overall I'm really happy with it.

The dock had a couple of marks on it from the manufacturing process when I pulled it out of the box. These disappeared completely with the use of a soft eraser. The lightning cable (not included) was easy to insert and is held solidly by the adapter.

I didn't find the micro suction was particularly effective with only half of it exposed. I pulled the remaining stickers off as per the instructions and now that sucker is not going anywhere!

You get two silicone adapters for different size cases but mine fit best with the dock naked. My cases are not bulky by any stretch of the imagination so I do wonder how it would cope with big cases. The silicone pads look like they might come off quite easily they didn't seem to lock into place particularly well, this may change as you dock your iDevices and the pressure slowly moulds them to a better fit. Before I bought the Everdock I contacted the manufacturer and they offered to custom make me a silicone pad for free if my devices didn't fit properly. I won't be taking them up on that offer because it all works fine out of the box, but this level of service is one reason I chose the Everdock.

My iPad Mini Retina with Apple Smart Case fits perfectly and is supported by the back of the dock. My iPhone 5s with Spigen Neo Hybrid case sits nicely on the bottom of the dock but there is a gap at the back. This I'm not so worried about because the heavier iPad is supported and Apple doesn't seem to worry about support for phones on their dock.

Docking and undocking is very easy, all done one handed.

I think it looks great and can't stop looking at it (please excuse the somewhat dodgy photos, I'm not a photographer and I didn't care for making a massive effort, it's just to give you a general idea):-
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vl5TopANpYYUNKX1FSaHNJN00/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vl5TopANpYUWVmTTV4SXBDbjA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vl5TopANpYMFJGZXZKNEpGemc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vl5TopANpYRGN3TzZmcnFyTjQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vl5TopANpYbDBhWi1XSEM1dHM/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.