Recommend a DVD Drive for 2006 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CipherMe, Nov 9, 2010.

1. CipherMe macrumors newbie

I'm looking to add a second DVD drive to my 2006 Mac Pro. I would like to have a LightScribe drive if possible. Can anyone recommend a unit known to work in Mac Pros. Thank in Advanced for you replies.

Andy

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

3. DualShock macrumors 6502

I think you mean PATA drive.

Take a look here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/superdrive/Mac_Pro_Xeon

But as Cindori said, you can use any model drive. The drives on OWC are a bit inflated in price. (I think the Samsung one is currently on sale for ~ $17 at NewEgg.)

Note that you'll need to remove the face plate from the tray to make it work in a Mac Pro.

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

right, pata. i should catch up on some sleep.

5. DualShock macrumors 6502

You deserve it with all the great work you do on graphics card flashing. :D

6. CipherMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I wasn't sure if the machine have any peculiarities requiring special "apple" hardware.

7. shroud macrumors member

Actually, you can use sata burners in the 2006 model Mac Pro. I have 2 samsung superwrite masters in mine (SH-S203N) and they work flawlessly.

SH-S203N is a bit old and harder to find now but it had light scribe and was rated as one of the last bulletproof samsungs before they cheapened their manufacturing process. SH-S203B was their great non-lightscribe version and SH-223B, SH-223N were their inferior quality successors but still nice drives. I haven't followed if the 243 versions are quality built again or not.

Pioneer is always a safe bet too (might be better for strictly DVD purposes).

If needing to burn to more than one drive at a time, I recommend SATA. For this, you would need to use the 'extra' SATA ports (that for the 2006 model were not intentionally disabled by Apple) and to wire them cleanly you have to remove the fan assembly. My fan assembly was so hard to remove without breaking it that I just took it to my local apple certified repair shop. I told them to use the extra sata ports and voila, it works like magic (after installing a patch from LaCie)

http://www.cdrlabs.com/ and http://club.myce.com/f61/ are good starting points if wanting more info on drives.

As the poster above linked, OWC will usually steer you right and their customer service is great too. I'd call OWC because some features don't play nice without a patch or additional software like dual layer burning or lightscribe.

8. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It won't fit if you don't replace the faceplate?

I've been thinking about upgrading to one with lightscribe, or even just leaving the one there and adding a second one.