Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
If you like Westerns: My kids got me Duval's triology on DVD:
Open Range, Lonesome Dove and Broken Trail

I was pleasantly surprised with The Illusionist
And I always recommend A Few Good Men, since I've probably watched it more than any DVD I have and, I have a lot. :)

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Actually, that wasn't by Miyazaki. :) He did do what is commonly considered inspiration of The Cat Returns, which is what I linked to in my previous post, Whisper of the Heart.

Doh!... I had assumed since it is a Studio Ghibli film its one of his...

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
One of my favorite films that a lot of people haven't seen is called "City of God". its a brazilian flick about the slums of Rio and the violent gangs there, a boy who wants to be a photographer how is from the slums, two childhood friends who become gang leaders, one who lives for the life and the other who wants to get out of the life and become a hippie with his girlfriend, and an gang war that starts accidentally. Incidentally, its all based on a true story (one of my favorite parts is at the ending credits where they show news reels of some of the real people involved) Its in portuguese, its super violent at times, but startlingly well done. its directed by the same guy who did the constant gardner, though this is a superior movie in my opinion.

Cashmere Fedora

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2007
The Godfather

The Godfather: Part II

Fargo

Chinatown

and a more recent film I really like is Pan's Labyrinth.

Edit: I guess I sort of misinterpreted the thread. Anyway, if you haven't seen any of these movies, I'd certainly suggest renting them.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Stranger Than Fiction
Shawshank Redemption
Children of Men
Almost Famous
A Simple Plan
Albino Alligator
American Beauty
Annie Hall
Barton Fink
Before Sunset/Before Sunrise
Big Fish
Bowling for Columbine
City of God
Cider House Rules
Driving Miss Daisy
Glengarry Glenross
Goodfellas
The Green Mile
Hard Candy
Hotel Rwanda
I Am Sam
Identity
An Inconvenient Truth
The Jacket
Jesus Camp
Love Actually
The Machinist
Memento
Mulholland Drive
Of Mice and Men
Phenomenon
Playing By Heart
Prime
Schindlers List
Seven
Six Feet Under (yes, the entire series. Once you get past the first 3-4 episodes its an amazing story)
Swingers
Vanilla Sky

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
To the fans of The Departed:

Have you seen Infernal Affairs, the Chinese film upon which The Departed was based? I find it to be the superior film.

A lot of my favorite films have already been mentioned previously, but I recommend Little Otik. It's a Czech horror film about the husband in a childless couple who finds a stump shaped (vaguely) like a baby for his wife.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Gwoemul aka "The Host" - (English title)

Trivia: "The movie has the highest record for people who watched in Korea,
which counts 13,019,740. It means over 20% of the whole Korean population
watched it. (Of course, there are people who watched it several times.)"

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
Some of my musical selections only ( films and animations that have great musical numbers)
  • all Fred Astaire
  • all Gene Kelly
  • Wizard of Oz
  • Stormy Weather, 1943 (Cab Calloway, Lena Horne, Fats Waller; masters all)
  • Showboat
  • Amadeus
  • Annie
  • Nightmare before Christmas (not a musical, this is more of an animated opera)
  • Prince of Egypt
  • Disney: Lion King, Alladin. Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan,
  • Les Triplettes de Belleville (rare dialogue, mostly pastische, gibberish, great scat)
  • Les Uns and Les Autres (Incredible Claude Lelouch film entirely in French and English with appropriate subtitles.
  • Grease
  • Saturday Night Fever
  • Hair
  • Blues Brothers
  • Little Shop of Horrors
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Twist and Shout number; anyway, this is one my favorite films so i'll try to fit it in anywhere, anytime)
  • Moulin Rouge
  • Fighting Temptations (ok, I like Gospel; don't tell my Jewish family)
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Chicago

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.