Recommend A Flash Memory Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gkarris, Jan 8, 2009.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Loving taking vids with my digital cameras, but of course, the audio stinks.

Have a very old DV camcorder, and a slighly old DVD camcorder, but turning out to just put the vids on my computer.

What's a good flash memory camcorder? Go with standard def or future-proof go with HD?

What software is used to edit the video from one? I assume the video format is different from DV or DVD.

I'm used to using FCE or iMovie HD ver 6.

Thanks.

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Could you suggest how much you want to spend, as your budget will determine what responses you get.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

any footage recorded to HDD/Flash will need to be converted before going into any editing app.

4. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Take a look at some of the new Canon HD offerings to future proof u can always HD > SD your memories but not the other way around. It really depends on your budget as well I'm looking at the Canon Vixia HF stuff. Built in 32GB of memory and an SDHC card slot to replace an ancient broken mini DV camera from way back.

FCE iMovie will do just fine just be sure to have loads of ram so you can play.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

canon hf100... to buy now..

or if you wait a bit canon announced the hfs100 at ces.. which is an updated hf100.. but will be more expensive than the already decent hf100 anyway :D

your choice

the format is AVCHD but if you import into iMovie/FCE then it will get converted into AIC (Apple codec) which results in quite large video files).. hence why nost people also use an external HDD for video editing.. so not a major problem..

6. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Obviously, nothing "pro" or "prosumer" - just basic Standard Def or High Def.

How are those Sanyo handhelds?

7. gecko579 macrumors newbie

Flip MinoHD

Definitely on the low end but don't rule out the MinoHD completely. SO simple, with one hour recording time with built-in 4GB flash (not upgradable) and Li ion battery. The form factor is currently unbeatable and I find I'm bringing it everywhere (first rule of DV is you must actually have a camera!) and with the new stabilization feature in iMovie '09, the shots will be pretty good for consumer (720i) use. FWIW.

8. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks. I'm going to need something with built-in IS, as well as optical zoom.

I'm using my Panasonic FZ8 like-dSLR, and it's got nice SD video, but the optical zoom doesn't work in video mode. :mad: Probably because they don't want it to compete with a real camcorder...

Looking at the Panasonics and Canons right now... was wondering about the Sanyo...

9. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

As far as i can tell there is no built in IS, and it is 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080, which is a bit weird?

Anyhoo I just bought (hasn't even arrived yet!) a pany SD9. I was going to get the Canon FS100 (standard Def model) but then the pany's price dropped on amazon and i couldn't resist...it was the optical IS and tiny size that really swung me

11. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I have the Sanyo HD1000 model. Pistol grip, takes 1080i video. Fantastic unit. What I was looking for was the smallest HD camcorder as it was for family video - larger units that don't fit in my pocket get left unused at home. The only weakness is the electronic image stabilization isn't as good as optical that Canon uses. The HD looks fantastic and works with iMovie.

12. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

I have to agree with this reply, if the camera is so large that it spends most of its life in a carry case then its money wasted. A friend of mine has the Flip Ultra and he shots amazing video with it, out riding his bike etc. also dont get over hyped about all the HD stuff when standard resolution is just fine for daily around town and family fun stuff.

13. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

14. isethx macrumors regular

15. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yep.. its upgraded version of the current HF10..

any release dates on these?

17. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Not an exact date, but Canon says Feb '09 for the HFS10 and HFS100, March '09 for others.

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I like the 8mp! This may be the all in one I have been looking for! I can wait for their release. Thanks!

19. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I like that this is the only one of the new ultra-compact vertical HD recorders that supports OS X directly, but the limited record time would mean taking a laptop along when traveling in order to keep freeing up the memory. That's more of a drag than finding a new non-Pro Mac that will support FireWire so I can keep importing video from my Canon HV-20 into iMovie once the Mini dies.

Sony's website says they will soon have a vertical form factor version available for $169 (I'm really starting to warm up to that form factor, especially for a cheap secondary camera to complement my HV-20). It still uses memory sticks so it gets around the Flip's limitation there, but of course no mention of OS X compatibility so you are back to dragging the media files to your machine and then converting them. That's the same issue holding me back from the Creative Vado HD.

20. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

But the MinoHD is only $50 more than the regular Mino. Why not invest the extra $50 "just in case"? Once you try HD resolutions you may decide you like it! They both hold the same 60 minutes of video before needing to offload to a computer and they have the exact same size and weight specs so they have exactly the same amount of portability.

If they come up with one that adds an SD slot or has more base memory I'm getting one (I might end up getting one anyway). I agree that with its size I'd be more likely to have it with me for lots of events that I wouldn't bother bringing my regular video camera to.

21. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

I just bought the Flip Mino and I'm really impressed. I'm assuming that for the price difference, the HD might be worth it.

22. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Its threads like this that keeps my credit card nice and warm on a cold, snowy winter day.:eek:

I'm leaning towards OS X/iMovie integration over memory expansion and that MinoHD is calling my name. And this, of course, is the perfect application for iMovie '09 and its video stabilization. Has iLife '09 started shipping yet? Once it ships I won't be able to rationalize away this little purchase.:D

23. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I was thinking about iLife '09's IS in case I end up with the Sony Webbie HD...

24. titaniummd macrumors member

I got the following from Amazon:

Samsung SC-HMX20c HD 1080p 10 X optical camcorder with SDHC and 8 GB built in memory

Samsung SC-HMX20 SD camcorder 34 X optical zoom with Youtube capability.

I like the size, ease of use.

I am still trying to figure out how to edit videos on the FCE.

25. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

Well I just bought this and I'm going to be receiving it tomorrow, Even though its backorderd check ebay.