Recommend a formatting guide

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Poly, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Poly macrumors 6502

So i have a Air from mid2011, i always just updated to OSX 10.8 and to 10.9 now.
    Somehow i feel that all the tweeks and apps i have installed do have a negative effect on my battery life and overall performance. Since fresh 100% clean reinstalls of iOS on my iPhone always helped me out, i thought it would be the same for my Macbook Air.

Can someone recommend a good guide to put a fresh install of 10.9 on my Air?

IMPORTANT INFOS:
    I have a Time Capsule with daily backups hooked up to my Air. And i have to tell you, i do not want to loose ANY data on my MBA....there are really important documents from university on it.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just command-r boot to recovery and from there use Disk Utility to erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Utility and click install OS. That will download and install the OS for you.

This will leave you with a drive having nothing but the OS on there. Then you will need to manually reinstall and configure all your apps and data.

Do not use restore or Migration Assistant to import Time Machine data as that defeats the purpose of a clean install.