Recommend a good camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Necross, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Necross macrumors member

Hey folks

I'm in the market for an inexpensive video camera. Looking to do mostly "how to" videos for a hobby, and it'll pretty much just be on YouTube and stuff. I would like a nice video quality though, and would like to be able to do 1080p.. and a camera that can be a little forgiving with less than perfect lighting. And most of all I'd love it to be under $200.

So, any recommendations? I was thinking about this one from Samsung but I dunno how good the quality will really be since alls you get to see at the store is the little videofinder window.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...&skuId=5662159&st= Samsung HMX-W300&cp=1&lp=1

2. ctyhntr, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Check out this Canon Vixia M301 refurb for less than $200. The HD cameras in the Vixia line saves in AVCHD. If you want to avoid AVHCD, check out the Kodak Zi8 or Zi10, which saves in mov and mp4 formats.

If you want to check out the quality of the video for the Vixia M301, or any camera you're considering go to Youtube and search test videos.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_17252

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

Low cost and low light means crap video.

And why do you care about 1080p? Do you know anything about video? Why do you need 1080p for crappy how-to youtube videos???? You do realize that the majority of people watching youtube don't even have that resolution on their computers???

4. Magrathea macrumors regular

That's probably the best camera for under $200 - the cannon. Yes, low light will be bad but use some lights to light your scene. Also dynamic range will not be great but it's under $200. All depends upon what you want to shoot. My buddy got a slightly more expensive model and I was mildly impressed with it, not too bad and the cannon lenses are great.

The Kodaks will shoot worst video, I have a playsport and it is fine but really a toy, dynamic range sucks and no proper image stabilization.

Perhaps you should save up and get a DSL like a Canon t2i or a Panny GH1 or GH2.